Batch of Hi Mountain Jerky

Started by Caribou, January 02, 2009, 09:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Just thought I'd make a batch of jerky and take lots of pictures of it at all stages.
I used Hi Mountain Mandarin Teriaki on 5 1/2 pounds of venison.
Have to say that to me it's not as good as their Original Blend which has an added dimension to it's flavor...maybe something herbal.
Here's the meat, semi-frozen and ready to slice.

Very easy to slice into 1/4" wide slices when semi-frozen, also have 1/4" marks on the board to remind what 1/4" looks like.

Sprinkled with Hi Mountain cure and season per directions.

Stacked tightly into a non-reactive pan to cure in the frig for 24 hours.

Into the smoker.  2hrs of apple smoke at around 170F and kept in the smoker until done.
See how clean my smoker still looks?  The true sign of a Newbie! ;)

All done!

Carolyn

deb415611

Very Nice!!

The inside of your smoker will not look like that for long! :)

westexasmoker

Thats some mighty good looking jerky there Carolyn!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Caribou

Thanks!
Already planning the next project.  Ordered some hi-temp cheddar to make some more smoked sausage..can't wait!
Carolyn

uleez28

Looks pretty good Carolyn! I've never used Hi Mountain before and now I will have to try it!!!! Hard to buy anything good in Northern Alberta, I have to order everything..

Jeff

FLBentRider

Looks good caribou!

The fam has been pining for some jerky...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caribou

Thanks!
My family was wanting jerky real badly, too.
Had the "Meat Guys" (aka processor) come out today and take care of three steers we were raising.
We are keeping an entire steer this year for ourselves, we normally only keep a half or a quarter.
So, I'm hoping for many opportunities to use the smoker this year.
Carolyn

Smoking Duck

Wow, Sarah......from VP candidate to Jerky Priestess!  You do it all!  Looks great!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 02, 2009, 05:01:24 PM
Wow, Sarah......from VP candidate to Jerky Priestess!  You do it all!  Looks great!

SD

Hi Mountain Jerky Priestess!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Gizmo

Quote from: Caribou on January 02, 2009, 09:43:10 AM
I used Hi Mountain Mandarin Teriaki on 5 1/2 pounds of venison.
Have to say that to me it's not as good as their Original Blend which has an added dimension to it's flavor...maybe something herbal.

Carolyn

I would agree with you there.  I like the Original Blend the best so far as well. 
Mesquite is running a close second.

I dind't find the Bourbon Blend any thing to speek of either.

Inferno with Chipole is good if you like it hot and spicy.

I have some Pepper and Cajun still waiting for me to try it.  Have to finish the 6 lbs of Mesquite I have left.  A few lbs will probably disappear with the son on Saturday at the Chargers game and as he heads back home to Texas on Sunday.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

The pepper and garlic is not bad, We add extra pepper. Not impressed with the bourbon either.

I bought just the cure mix to create our own flavors, haven't opened it yet.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caribou

Hey Gizmo do you smoke the mesquite flavor with mesquite pucks?  I saw the mesquite flavor and wondered if that was what one would smoke it with, or would that be too much mequite flavor at once.
I did the jerky recipe that Bradley has online which calls for mesquite and followed the recipe a little too literally and smoked it way too long with mesquite.  Would like to try that one again with mesquite pucks but this time with just an 1 1/2 to 2 hours of smoke.

You are right SD, Caribou Barbie can do anything!  I heard she is even a grandma now! :) 
For me...I'll just stick to jerky for now! and be governess of my house;)
Carolyn

Gizmo

Yes I followed the mesquite Hi-Mountain with mesquite smoke.  1 hour 40 minutes worth.  Not over powering at all.  I haven't tried any other wood yet as this was the first batch made with this seasoning. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/