One Long Sauage!

Started by Caribou, January 02, 2009, 07:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Happen to stumble upon this world record sausage made in Romania.
http://video.ap.org/?f=NYWAT&pid=9PyvJjgyfn_l5y2tRvc21VJOk6A613jn
Hopefully this is an inspiration to all sauage makers (or possibly a reoccuring nightmare!) ;)
I figure with my KitchenAid stuffer it would take me about 80 years to stuff this much sausage!
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
Carolyn

Doctor Woody

No reply so far?  How sad.

One thing I don't understand about this sausage is how do you get a continuous casing that long?  Did they tape casings together???   ???

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Caribou

Maybe it's a collagen casing?
Could they make a casing as long as they want?
All things to ponder ;)
Carolyn

3rensho

You can overlap natural casings as you stuff.  That's what they do here when someone wants to make an XXL weenie.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Doctor Woody

Quote from: 3rensho on January 22, 2009, 09:59:44 PM
You can overlap natural casings as you stuff.  That's what they do here when someone wants to make an XXL weenie.

Hahaha  Who would want an XXL weenie anyway?

Really though.  Doesn't all the casing have to be on the stuffing tube?  In the case of the world's longest weenie, they may have used a super long stuffing tube to accomplish it?  I can't think of another way...

3rensho

No, you put a casing on the stuffing tube and fill it until you only have about an inch left.  You slip that off the tube, slide on a length of unfilled casing and then slip the inch of casing from the sausage over an inch of the new casing on the filling tube.  Then you start filling again taking care that the overlap does not part company. I did it recently making some breakfast sausages with sheep casings and you end up with an XXL weenie.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Caribou

I knew some one out there would know!
Thanks!
Carolyn

Doctor Woody

Quote from: 3rensho on January 23, 2009, 06:49:00 AM
No, you put a casing on the stuffing tube and fill it until you only have about an inch left.  You slip that off the tube, slide on a length of unfilled casing and then slip the inch of casing from the sausage over an inch of the new casing on the filling tube.  Then you start filling again taking care that the overlap does not part company. I did it recently making some breakfast sausages with sheep casings and you end up with an XXL weenie.

Ahhhhh

Thanks for the enlightenment.  That makes perfect sense.