Temperature Control

Started by LazyJack, January 03, 2009, 01:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LazyJack

Newbie here, and as the name states, I'm lazy.  Got my BSS from Costco - good price, smoked leftover pork tenderloin (a little too much smoke but good), some rib eyes (cold smoked then grilled - absolutely delicious), and now going for the big lobowski (sp?), pork loin back ribs (otherwise known as baby backs... got those from Costco too). 

Going with the 2+ hour smoke/cook, wrap in foil after 3 hours (cook) with apple juice, then one hour (or so) in foil but not closed - last 1/2 hour with bbq sauce.  All this to say, I'm having some difficulty keeping the temperature at 220F.  Do I really have to go out and check the thing every 30 minutes to make sure it's hovering at 220F?  My wife says LazyJack should have gotten the digital model, but Costco wasn't selling that.  Also, it's fairly cold where I am (WV, about 38F) and was certainly colder when I started.  however, my BSS is located in my garage, window (open) right behind the unit and garage doors open.  Blocks the wind but obviously can't do anything about the cold.

So, any tips from all of you stainless steel owners (besides building a special structure with exhaust fans, etc... remember, I'm very lazy)?

Habanero Smoker

There are temperature control devises that many are using to control their OBS to within +2°F. Do a search on PID, or Raptor Guru, or DigiQII. They are all temperature control devises that you can use with your smoker.

But if you are just interested in doing ribs, butts and briskets, it won't hurt if your temperatures fluctuate +10°F from time to time.

And welcome to the forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

car54

Wecome LazyJack,

Here is some info on making your own PID.

[url][http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=245/url]

Brad

beefmann

welcome to the forum lazy, much like you im lazy when it comes to a smoker... the bradley does that to you

LazyJack

Thanks for the replies guys.  It's almost midnight here on the East Coast and I'm beat (plus, I've had a fair amount of alcohol and appetizers after the ribs.  We had some friends over tonight and they enjoyed the ribs.  More from me on the ribs tomorrow. 

If you haven't watched Tropic Thunder, it's a hoot (that's what we did tonight). 

I will definitely look up those links on the temperature controls. That's exactly what I'm looking for.  I realize that even 10 or 20 degrees off for a short period of time won't "kill" my meal, but not am I only lazy, I'm picky.  Nice combination eh?  "Cake and eat it too". 

My wife and I purchased the BSS as a gift to each other for Christmas.  She's very much interested in me liking it and I'm very much interested in making it work to both of our satisfaction.  Talk to you all later.  Again, thanks for the replies and the advise.

LazyJack (otherwise known to my friends as "Jack".

deb415611

LazyJack

Thank you all for the links to the temperature control devices.  Looks like Auber has been busy.  Looks like everyone with an OBS or BSS has been busy! 

Just wanted to comment on the ribs I made (and ate).  They were... ok.  I've had better and I've definitely had worse.  They were done, but not fall off the bone done.  They were tasty, but not enough hickory for my tastes (so I'll definitely smoke them longer next time).  If I had cooked them any more, they would have been too dry.  So as with everyone, I guess I'll have to try the different methods.  As I mentioned, I did the cook for 3 hours, wrap in tin foil with apple juice for one hour, open the tin foil and complete cooking for the last hour. 

Honestly, when I nuked the leftovers, it was a little better.  Not sure why.  I'll hit the other forums for more ideas.  Everyone else (wife and friends) loved them and thought they were great.  Thanks again for your replies and help.  I'm probably going to go for the $150 version of the completed control (when I get the extra $$s!). 

Mr Walleye

Jack

Everybody has a slightly different idea of how tender they want ribs. It does take a few tries to get it dialled in to your preference.

For me, I like my ribs smoked for 3 hours at 220 degrees, then continue at the same temp for another hour with no smoke. Next I either wrap in tin foil or put them in a tin foil roaster covered in tin foil with a shot of apple juice and either put back in the smoker or put into the oven at 220 for another 4 hours. Next I pull them out and fire them on the grill just long enough to sauce them then chow down on some very tender ribs.

Like I said, everybody has a slightly different idea of how tender ribs should be and this is just roughly what my time lines are. Keep trying... you'll get them dialled in.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Of all the things I've smoked, ribs ahve got to be the most difficult to dial in........but once you get it, you're golden.  Of course, the ribs themselves play a large part in getting them dialed in.  For me, it's because of the way we test the "doneness".  I never use IT as a guide with ribs as I do with everything else.  With pulled pork and brisket, once the IT hits 190F, it gets pulled and FTC.  With ribs, I use a much more subjective test of shrinkage and bone twist.  The subjectivity can sometimes lead to errors in judging the finished product.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

IKnowWood

Ribs, especially babe-backs are tough to dial to the right level of perfection.  From the rub (Oinknr Rub for me), the amount of smoke (4 hrs for me), wood (Pecan for me), extra liquid (1 sprints Apple Juice every hour after first 2 hrs cook), to total cook time (6.5 hrs for me), and sauce options (no sauce during cook, just on the table).  But one thing that I learned early is where you get your ribs.  Be watchful and when you find a good place that has consistency in quality stick with it.  I have done a repeatable process on ribs from different places and gotten different results.  Now for a while now, I am now mostly consistent.  But also, I never gets Ribs from any restaurant, It just does not compare.

Good luck and keep trying till you dial into your perfect result and make small tweaks as needed.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

FLBentRider

IKW, you have it down.

That is what I woulda said, especially the part about the restraunt.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!