Beef Summer Sausage

Started by ratherbboating, December 24, 2018, 03:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratherbboating

While I haven't posted in a while, I still troll here to see what is going on.
I tried a new recipe (for me) and it came out very good.  It was Len Poli's Smoke Beef Summer Sausage.  I followed the amounts very close and the only thing I had different was I used pork fat instead of Beef trim.  And another comment I have on it: the mustard seeds, I tried crushing them, next time I will put them in my coffee grinder for a second or two.  I pulled the sausage from the smoker when I got ITs of 154 to 158 in four different places

Ready to go into smoker:

Out of the smoker and after cooling down:

Slice and ready for freezer:

This tasted very good.

I also made bierwurst (from Rytek Kutas's book) recently.  It turn out good, but forgot to take pictures while making.

And today I bottled a blond ale, will have to wait now for a couple of weeks to taste and see how it turned out.

The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

Gafala

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

watchdog56

When I make venison sausage I use whole mustard seeds. I really like  it that way. Going to have to try beef summer sausage one day. Looks good.