Kielbasa...

Started by Mr Walleye, January 03, 2009, 09:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor Woody

That stuff sure does look fantastic.

I've been looking at some recipes, and one thing I don't quite understand yet is why some recipes call for a certain period of time where heat is applied but no smoke.  Then smoke is applied later.  I wonder what the reason behind that is...

FLBentRider

Usually that is a drying phase.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Doc

FLB is right. I usually hang my sausage in the smoker for 1 to 2 hours at about 130 degrees without smoke. As I understand it, it dries the casings so that the smoke can penetrate better as opposed to condensing with the moisture on the surface of the casing.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Doctor Woody

I was also reading about this in the sausage book.  In the past, I didn't have to worry about this step because I was making sausage without a casing.  But now that I plan to use natural casings, I'll definitely go by the book.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 14, 2009, 05:35:48 PM
Mike I found this one in my files as well.

Pickled Sausage

1/2-cup water
1-cup vinegar
1/4-cup onion, diced
2-garlic cloves, minced
1-tbsp Kosher salt
1/2-tbsp sugar
1-tbsp pickling spice
4-cooked sausage links (cold), each cut into 3 pieces

In a clean 1 quart jar, add the sausage
Pour in the 1 cup of cider vinegar
Add the onion, garlic, salt, sugar and pickling spice to 1/2-cup water
Bring to a boil and then let cool
Add to jar, topping up with extra cider vinegar if needed
Seal and shake to spread around the seasonings
Eat after 4-5 days, will only keep for 7-10 days in fridge from start of process

Makes 1 quart jar

I finally got around to giving this a shot. The only thing I did different was I sliced the onion in bigger pieces, used a fare bit more garlic sliced in half lengthwise and I added sliced fresh jalapeños. I did 3 quarts with Kielbasa and 3 quarts with Chorizo.

Now well just wait a week and see how they turn out.

Mike

Tenpoint5

I'm kinda  a garlic nut myself I always put more in. I like the idea of adding the Japs. But that would be just for me Momma and the Yardapes just aint ready for the fun yet.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

They turned out really well. Especially the Kielbasa, with the jalapeños in there it added just a nice little bit of heat. Not really over welming... if you eat the jalapeño (really good) they still have pretty good heat. The garlic chunks a pretty tasty as well!  ;)

Mike

Roadking

The Kielbasa looks great. Wife and I are due ourselves to make a batch. Last batch we made we fell asleep on and the temp. got up too high. We donated them to the local Little League as bats.  ::)

caustic casey

The Rytek Kutas book is a bible...
Yes it is extremely important that you completely dry the sausage before you apply the smudge.
Also temp. is extremely important because if it gets too warm the links will "sweat" and the smoke will never permeate.
If you've never had homemade Kielbasa or knockwurst or bockwurst or italian sausage or...... I gotta stop there!!  You really are missing out!!!

wbrewski

Hi, I WAS WONDERING WHAT SIZE HOLES ARE IN YOUR MEAT GRINDER DISKS
I smoke 2 ways one in a bradley and a shotgun

Orion

My grinder has 3 sets: 6, 8 and 10 mm. I primarily use the 10 mm. Sometimes I will grind two types of meat such as venison and pork and do each one separately and then mix them together and grind once more. This gives a good fat distribution and mix. I prefer the 10 mm because it makes the blend a little less like pate.

I keep all my plates and blades in individual sets and always match the same side of each plate to the blade.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Edward176

Hey Orion, I was wondering if you've ever sharpened your blades and plates? If not how long do they last before replacement? I suppose as log as they grind the meat without clumping and smearing they're still good. Just wondering.

Orion

I've never had to sharpen my blades. They are good quality hardened stainless steel and not prone to damage.

As I said previously I keep each blade matched to its specific plate and always run the blade edges on the same side of its matching plate. A slight wear pattern develops on the plate from the blades rotating against it. On the first few uses any high spots or imperfections will be worn off and going forward the blade encounters no irregularities.

I once borrowed a grinder and the plate was a mess. Nicked and scored on both sides. The blade had also seen better days. I put a peice of app. 600 grit emery cloth on a pane of glass with a bit of vegetable oil and lapped the plate on one side in a figure eight pattern until it was fresh again. Same thing with the blade... carefully lapped it until the edges were improved . You don't want to be super aggressive , just nice and easy .

Biggest issue is bone or bullet fragment in your meat. Always try to ensure there are no contaminants prior to grinding.

I always ensure the meat is close to frozen stiff just prior to cutting and grinding. It makes it much easier to handle and cut into equal size cubes...1". I also freeze the entire grinding head and all components prior to grinding. This way everything runs cold while grinding.

It is perfectly safe to freeze fresh meat for a long time and then thaw just enough to cut and grind and refreeze immediately after grinding . Packaging well is the key to food safe and longevity.

The blade and plates are not cheap and if properly cared for should last the usual hobbyist a lifetime without much need for adjustment. Lastly , don't overtighten the large retaining ring that secured the blade and plate. Just finger tip tight. If the assembly has a plastic washer between the impeller and grinder body put a little vegetable oil on it at each use. Clean everything thoroughly after each use and it just needs a quick rinse for the next use.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

wbrewski

Thanks for all the information, now I can get to smoking.
again thanks
I smoke 2 ways one in a bradley and a shotgun

Edward176

Thanks Orion for the info. My grinder plates and blades are only 3 years old and I keep them clean and oiled to avoid any corrosion. But I'm glad you brought up the point of overly tightening the retaining ring on the plate to grinder. I am guilty of making sure everything is nice and snug (Mechanical background) to avoid any mishaps, but I'll loosen it a bit more next time, Thank You.