Mexican Chorizo's

Started by NePaSmoKer, January 04, 2009, 09:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redneckinthecity

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but when I was searching for a chorizo recipe tonight, this thread caught my attention.  I've had great luck with AC Legg products in the past (they were the company that formulated my family's whole hog country sausage recipe), so I ordered a bag of their chorizo seasoning blend.  My son killed his first wild hog this past weekend, so I've got a few pounds of meat to do something with - after having chorizo and eggs for breakfast while we were in South Texas, I was inspired to try chorizo. 

My question is this - NePa recommends all hog or 50/50 beef and hog.  Anyone have a fat proportion recommendation?  I usually go for 65/35, but not sure if that's appropriate for this one.

Thanks for any and all advice and recommendations!

RITC

ratherbboating

65/35 is good for chorizo in general.  Mine is more like 80/20 but I don't put mine on the grill, use it mostly for breakfast mixed with eggs.  Next batch I make, I am going to increase the amount of pork fat and use natural casings so I can cook on the grill.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Redneckinthecity on March 26, 2015, 05:49:12 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but when I was searching for a chorizo recipe tonight, this thread caught my attention.  I've had great luck with AC Legg products in the past (they were the company that formulated my family's whole hog country sausage recipe), so I ordered a bag of their chorizo seasoning blend.  My son killed his first wild hog this past weekend, so I've got a few pounds of meat to do something with - after having chorizo and eggs for breakfast while we were in South Texas, I was inspired to try chorizo. 

My question is this - NePa recommends all hog or 50/50 beef and hog.  Anyone have a fat proportion recommendation?  I usually go for 65/35, but not sure if that's appropriate for this one.

Thanks for any and all advice and recommendations!

RITC

All depends on how you like your chorizo. True chorizo is all pork. I have cut in beef with the pork with great results.

watchdog56

Nice to see Nepa's is still hanging around.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: watchdog56 on March 30, 2015, 04:09:45 AM
Nice to see Nepa's is still hanging around.

Thanks

I'm still in and out. Got rid of all my Bradley items and with a newer higher wattage smoker.