smoked samon

Started by shlloyd, January 07, 2009, 12:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shlloyd

I just did my first smoke of samon using kummok's recipe and it turned out great. I got the finished product on December 23 2008. My question is how long will this stay good just sitting in the fridge? I gave most of what I did as xmas gifts but have some left over. Does it need to be used up right a way or will it keep a few weeks. I have it in a plasic zip lock bag at the present time.  Thank you all for all the great help and ideas that I have received in the past.  Tank

Mr Walleye

It freezes real well and keeps for months, although it doesn't last that long around here. I'm not sure how long it will be ok in the fridge though.

I usually vac. package it in usable sizes and toss it in the freezer. When ever I want some I will just through it in a sink of cold water to thaw it out.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Kummok

Good advice from Mike! Your salmon should be tasty for up to a month in a normal 38-40ish °F reefer, Tank. Best thing to do is, like Mike says, keep a small portion in fridge and freeze the rest. Vac seal is best for freezing but Ziploc will work for a month or two w/o damage.....if you don't have a vac sealer, just use the Ziploc and "lung suck" the air out as best as you can before zipping it closed.....don't try that method with glue/petrol/etc :o  ;)