Cant Get Enough Lanjaeger

Started by NePaSmoKer, January 06, 2009, 09:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

I am on a landjaeger kick.

left bowl is the cure. right bowl is the landjaeger mix.

the meat 5lbs all mixed. after mixing i added encapsilated citric acid and mixed by hand.

I have the hog casings soaking for stuffing. after stuffing the links go into the fridge overnight. Tomorrow i bring the links out to room temp for 1 hr. Then into smoker heat @150* no smoke for 1.5 hrs. Then links get heavy smoke with oak for 2 hrs @150*. After smoke heat gets bumped to 160* for 2 hrs no smoke until done.I use no water in the pan with vent open half way. After the links are done i leave in smoker with door cracked until links are cool.

nepas

Smoking Duck

Looking good, Nepas (as usual)!  Where do you get the citric acid?  If a grocery store, where (generally) would it be located?

Thanks!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

NEPAS,
  What does landjaeger taste like? I've seen the name posted before but never tried any?
Pork? Beef? Mix? Dried?
Thanks,
pens

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 06, 2009, 11:08:23 AM
Looking good, Nepas (as usual)!  Where do you get the citric acid?  If a grocery store, where (generally) would it be located?

Thanks!

SD

SD

The citric acid i buy from a butcher in Idaho but it can be found at allied kenco also.

I did find regular powdered CA in the store but i have not found the right amount to use in landjaeger, this CA is used in canning.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pensrock on January 06, 2009, 01:07:50 PM
NEPAS,
  What does landjaeger taste like? I've seen the name posted before but never tried any?
Pork? Beef? Mix? Dried?
Thanks,
pens

pens

this batch is 90/10 GB. Its going to dry some before i smoke it. With the citric acid in this batch its going to taste like slim jims with that tangy taste to it.

nepas

pensrock

Smokin Soon

Nepa, is the citric acid the same as fermento? I have not done any recipes that called for citric acid.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smokin Soon on January 06, 2009, 07:25:00 PM
Nepa, is the citric acid the same as fermento? I have not done any recipes that called for citric acid.

kinda along the same lines. The fermento you can add while grinding. the encapsilated you cant. it must be mixed in by hand.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

If you need it quickly, you can also find citric acid in the kosher section of your grocery store; it is called Sour Salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

almost at room temp and sweating. then into smoker if it can get to temp, cold and icy out today.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

OBS not getting to temp so i had to traeger the landjaeger.

nepas