stupid question about summer sausage and the danger zone.....

Started by firerescueman, January 06, 2009, 07:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firerescueman

Alright folks,

I am at it again.  This time I have 18 pounds of venison summer sausage (hi mtn's mix) in the smoker.  Here's my question:

This had to come up to room temp before going in the smoker,  this took about 2 hours.  Then an hour at low heat to dry it out,  then it has smoked for another 5 hours so far and is only up to about 135 degrees.  This seems like a long time and I know most meats aren't supposed to stay in the "danger zone" (40-140 degrees?) for more than about 3 hours.

Does the cure extend this time?  I know this seems like a dumb question.  I am always just overly cautious, I guess.  This is probably gonna be another couple of hours before it gets done and I just wanna make sure I don't have any problems.

Thanks all,

Jeff
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

Mr Walleye

I'm assuming you are using cure#1 or an equivalent, in which case the nitrites will provide protection from the nasties.

Save a picture for us to droll over Jeff!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

never let the meat fall below 140* unless its dried sausage

nepas

firerescueman

Yes,  I believe it is cure number 1.   It s Hi Mountain's Summer Sausage mix.  meat was mixed with cure and seasoning,  then had to rest in fridge for 12-24 hours before smoking.
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

firerescueman

Quotenever let the meat fall below 140* unless its dried sausage

I am assuming that summer sausage is considered "dried" sausage.......  ??

Piker

I had a 6x24 summer sausage in my smoker with basically the same seasonings and it too k 12 hrs. to reach an i.t. of 155f. Tasted great and no problems

firerescueman

one more question........   do these need a bath in icewater when they come out?  I have read where several of you have done this.  just curious.

Habanero Smoker

Mike (Mr. Walleye) has provided you with the information you are looking for. As for the danger zone, I've never seen it referred to as under 3 hours. For meat left out at room temperature (68°F) without added protection, it is usually 2 hours and that is cumulative. The clock doesn't start ticking when you take it out of the refrigerator and place it on the counter, but the total time it's been in the danger zone, which would include times such as when you transport it from the store to you home, and other times it may have been refrigerated. If you room temperature is higher, that lessen your time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

easyridinole

I just did a 10lb batch of summer sausage a week ago and also used High Mountain seasoning and cure. This was my first attempt at this and I fallowed the instructions and everything came out really good. It took longer than I expected to reach 155, about 12 hrs. The only thing I did different was I mixed the pork and venison 50/50. Next time I will try a 70/30 ratio. Since then I ordered some dehydrated jalepenos and some high temp cheese and am looking foward to making some more since my first batch is almost gone. Sorry for not posting any pictures since I was a little leary about how it was going to turn out and it got a little late into the night.  :-\ The next batch I do I will put some pics on here though! ;)
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

easyridinole

I forgot to add that I didn't use any binder and am planning on using some next time. My end product shrunk up a little, but not as much as I thought it would. Along with the Jalepenos and cheese I also ordered some special meat binder from Butcher & Packer. Has anyone ever used this before?
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

firerescueman

Thanks all!

Sausage came out of the smoker at about 1am,  got a quick ice water bath, and went into the fridge (all but one VERY GOOD slice!)

Thanks for all of your help!

Jeff

drano

firerescueman
Yes, putting them in an ice bath helps make them look better once cooled off.  I put water and ice in the sink, throw them in, and stir them around until they don't feel warm.  Its about 10 minutes or so, then into the fridge. 
+1 on other responses--if you used cure, laid them on the counter for a couple hours, then into the smoker, the cure keeps you safe. 
get smokin
drano

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: firerescueman on January 06, 2009, 08:24:57 PM
one more question........   do these need a bath in icewater when they come out?  I have read where several of you have done this.  just curious.

If you make the sausage or stix right you dont need to use an icewater bath. Binders  binders for less shrinkage

nepas