cod????

Started by westexasmoker, January 07, 2009, 08:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Well I wanted fish for tonight and dug through the freezer (last night) and found a bag labeld Cod.....OK thawed it out yesterday and then marinaded overnight with onion, garlic, jalapenos, some lemon juice, lime juice a bit of salt and pepper and old bay seasoning!

Hit with an almost an hours of smoke...did'nt change much

And then grilled some, pan fried some.....I will tell ya this stuff falls apart!!  And just threw into a dish to keep warm in the oven!

Did some rice and asparaghus, and plated.....some good eats...One of the best whitefish ever! (But it does fall apart)....Oh well!  ;D

C

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Gizmo

Now all you need is some chips (fries), salt, malt vinegar and a few pages of the London Times or the Evening Standard and you'll be set for tomorrow night with the leftover cod.  :P
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

cowgirl

Westexas that looks wonderful!  8)

Smokin Soon

Also pretty good in a hot sauce, egg and flour mix after 1 hour smoke and into the Big Easy for a finish! And yes it does fall apart, but very tasty!

La Quinta

Looks good WTS...I am so proud of you that you did the fish in hickory...  :D

Giz...what did Bob tell you while I was occupied? You sound like an American Brit with that comment about the news!!!

Gizmo

I will never divulge the secrets of the "Royal Benevolent...." opps almost said too much already.  Glad I caught myself.

Guys can have a few scary secrets as well.

Fish and Chips is one of may all time favorite dishes.  I even like the malt vinegar on the french fries.   ;)

Back in the good ole days, there use to be H. Salt Fish and Chips.  From my memory, they were the best.  I believe they were bought out by Captain Kids Galley (AKA Sea World) and the next time I tried them many years later when visiting CA., Yuck. 

So, WTS,
If you have any leftovers, you can splash a little malt vinegar on that cod and will give that tasty treat a new life.

Bob, next time you want me to tag along for some good authentic Fish and Chips, just give me a eh up!

manxman

Quotefew pages of the London Times or the Evening Standard and you'll be set for tomorrow night with the leftover cod.

Ah......... those were the days. Fish and Chip shops are no longer allowed to use sheets of newspaper to wrap them in, another example of Health and Safety gone mad!  :(
Manxman

Smoking Duck

I'm with you Giz.......malt vinegar is mandatory even on the fries.  I actually got hooked on malt vinegar when I was a kid.  It was an amusement park near Pittsburgh we used to go to all the time.  They sold fries at one stand and had this bottle of malt vinegar, so I tried it and instantly became hooked.  Course, I was a teenager and I was making my moves on a sweet little girl named Mary Beth......the vinegar drove her off but it certainly started another love affair.  It was worth it.....Mary Beth ended up dancing on stage with a pole and I kept my love for fish and chips done right.  It was a good trade off, although I used to visit Mary Beth from time to time just to keep up with old times  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

sherlock

;D
AHHHHHHHHHH YESSSSSSSSSS

We do love those "Mary Beth"s, don't we.

I want to try some catfish.

Ah man, where is the plastic cover for my keyboard????????/////

Caneyscud

Smoked catfish is great.  More often than not I put on a little blackening spice before smoking.  If it gets too much smoke and dried out - don't worry - be happy -  make a smoked catfish and cream cheese spread/dip.  Another way that is fun is if you have access to some fresh corn husks.  Loosely wrap a catfish filet, a slice of jalapeno, a slice of lemon, a little bit of green onion and or garlic in a husk or two.  Fasten with a toothpick or tie with a narrow strip of husk and smoke/cook.  A smoked catfish sandwich with a little horsey sauce is pretty tasty.  A BLT with smoked catfish is pretty good.  Instead of bagel, cream cheese and lox (The Jewish Trilogy) try bagel, cream cheese and smoked catfish (more often than not, I used fried rather than smoke catfish though).  Smoked catfish fish taco are pretty good also with a little creamy slaw and a spicey and hot remoulade-type sauce.  The last time I was at Pike Place Market in Seattle, I remember seeing a menu item Smoked Catfish Salad.  Didn't have it, but it caught my eye because in an area surrounded by the bounty of fresh fish - they served smoked catfish!   Someday, I want to smoke a larger, whole catfish say 7 to 10 pounds or even larger.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

westexasmoker

As suggested with the leftovers, fish and chips for dinner last night!

C

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Gizmo

Oh Yah,
Hope you had some good malt vinegar but I didn't get an eh up and I bet it is all gone!

manxman

Great pics westexasmoker, really impressed with the fish and chips! I think we Brits feel we are the only ones that can do good fish and chips but how wrong we are!  ;)

Posted this a while back, probably do this dish about once a month.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=1993.msg19043#msg19043
Manxman