I hope the new digital smoker works better than my old smoker.

Started by Doctor Woody, January 08, 2009, 10:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor Woody

Greetings all,

Just joined the forum.  I joined it because I started reading the posts and found them very educational.  The trusted recipes look great too, and can't wait to try them.

When I started smoking, years ago, I used a Big Chief Smoker.  Then graduated to a Bradley.  I currently have the original black smoker.  From the start, I could not get the temp over 175 degrees or so.  I recently worked with Bradley, replaced the heating element, bypassed the fuse and temp cutoff module, but still can't get the smoker much over 200 degrees.  After annoying the wife too many times by making her wait to eat so late, I decided to get the 6 rack digital model.  Of course, she'll be annoyed when she finds out I bought another one....  But that's a different story.  Upon reading the forum, I also ordered the Maverick and can't wait to use it.

Lately, I've been rubbing a salty, dry spice cure under the skin of a bone-in turkey breast.  It has been out of this world good, and very easy.  I'll post what I've done in another thread.

Cheers!

josbocc

Doctor,

Had my DBS6 for about 6 months now, and I love it.  Good choice with the Maverick.  I will tell you, and you will see this elsewhere in this forum, that in order to achieve consistent temperatures, you really need a PID.  I bought the Auber, and am very pleased with it.

Before the PID, my temps would be as far off as 40 degrees (from what the Bradley said, and what the Maverick read).  Now I'm within two degrees all of the time.  I can't speak for Maximum temps, I haven't really had the need to go much over 200 degrees on my last few smokes.  I do know that you can beef up the heating element, but as you've already pointed out..., $$$, and that usually doesn't make the Mrs. very happy.

I'm smoking right now.  It's 10 degrees F outside at the moment, and I've got 20 lbs. of pork loin in the Bradley for Canadian Bacon.  I started the smoke about 30 minutes ago, and my tower temp is just about 140 right now.  I expect it to hit 200 right around the one hour mark which is where it should stay (unless I can't wait to see my CB and open the cabinet door) until I reach my IT of 150 degrees.

I have digressed, but if you can afford it, the Auber PID is a wonderful addition to the Bradley.  Welcome to the forum, and Good Luck.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Doctor Woody!

On you Original Bradley, did you have the vent closed. Closing the vent can cause moisture to build up in the tower and keep the temps down. The same would be true of the DBS6.

Would it get to temp empty or full of food ?

Most of the smoking I do is at 200F or so anyway. I usually plan at least an extra 4 hours in my schedule when doing long cooks.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Doctor Woody

Quote from: josbocc on January 08, 2009, 10:48:14 AM
Doctor,

Had my DBS6 for about 6 months now, and I love it.  Good choice with the Maverick.  I will tell you, and you will see this elsewhere in this forum, that in order to achieve consistent temperatures, you really need a PID.  I bought the Auber, and am very pleased with it.

Before the PID, my temps would be as far off as 40 degrees (from what the Bradley said, and what the Maverick read).  Now I'm within two degrees all of the time.  I can't speak for Maximum temps, I haven't really had the need to go much over 200 degrees on my last few smokes.  I do know that you can beef up the heating element, but as you've already pointed out..., $$$, and that usually doesn't make the Mrs. very happy.

I'm smoking right now.  It's 10 degrees F outside at the moment, and I've got 20 lbs. of pork loin in the Bradley for Canadian Bacon.  I started the smoke about 30 minutes ago, and my tower temp is just about 140 right now.  I expect it to hit 200 right around the one hour mark which is where it should stay (unless I can't wait to see my CB and open the cabinet door) until I reach my IT of 150 degrees.

I have digressed, but if you can afford it, the Auber PID is a wonderful addition to the Bradley.  Welcome to the forum, and Good Luck.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

It sure seems like the Bradley should hold a tighter temp since it's supposed to be digitally controlled.  But I'm sure you are right about the temperature swings.  I know I'll have to pick one of these up.  I can afford it.  It's just too bad it is needed.

Canadian Bacon is one thing I haven't made yet.  I did see the recipe.  It looks easy enough and who doesn't love it?

Thanks for your insight.

Doctor Woody

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 08, 2009, 10:54:41 AM
W E L C O M E  to the Forum Doctor Woody!

On you Original Bradley, did you have the vent closed. Closing the vent can cause moisture to build up in the tower and keep the temps down. The same would be true of the DBS6.

Would it get to temp empty or full of food ?

Most of the smoking I do is at 200F or so anyway. I usually plan at least an extra 4 hours in my schedule when doing long cooks.

Thanks.  I did have the vent closed.  I would have never thought this would keep the temp down.  I always thought it would keep the box as hot as possible.  Interesting.

I wanted the higher temps for products like poultry.  Since the poultry doesn't need such a long smoking and curing time, the whole process can be shorter.  It would be nice to count on the poultry being done after just a few hours.

I did notice that it would take longer to get to temp with more food, which does make sense.

I am already sold on the PID.  Time to get my wallet out again.   ;D

Doctor Woody

I just ordered the Auber PID.  Hey, if you're going to do something, you might as well go all the way and do it right!

pensrock

Dr. Woody,
  Since you now have two smokers. Why not look into getting a larger heating element from Grainger.com and putting it into the OBS? There are some posts on the site where others have done just that. Still others bought these heating elements and used them in home made smokers. I think you can get a 900 watt element at a fair price and that will almost double the heat output you have now.
  But as stated eariler by FLB, keep the vent open, you do not want heat/smoke/moisture backing up into the smoke generator and killing it.
Good luck with the new DBS and welcome to the forum.
pens

easyridinole

Doctor,

Jeff

Where did you guys get your Maverick and Auber PID? I am interested in getting these for my 4 rack digital. The temps really do seem to go up and down a lot.

Thanks,

Ole
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

KyNola

Welcome aboard Woody!
If I read your posts correctly, you purchased the BDS6 and then the Auber PID.  If you have ordered the BDS6 and it has yet to be shipped to you, here's how you can save some money.  Cancel the BDS and order another original.  With the PID, you have no reason to have the BDS.  The Auber PID is going to do everything that the digital feature of the BDS will do.

Either way, welcome aboard.  We all look forward to hearing your first adventure with your new smoker!

KyNola

Doctor Woody

Quote from: KyNola on January 08, 2009, 01:01:51 PM
Welcome aboard Woody!
If I read your posts correctly, you purchased the BDS6 and then the Auber PID.  If you have ordered the BDS6 and it has yet to be shipped to you, here's how you can save some money.  Cancel the BDS and order another original.  With the PID, you have no reason to have the BDS.  The Auber PID is going to do everything that the digital feature of the BDS will do.

Either way, welcome aboard.  We all look forward to hearing your first adventure with your new smoker!

KyNola

Thanks KyNola,

From what I have been reading about, even the BDS6 will not hold a steady temp.  Instead of finding out for myself, I figured I would order one so I would not have any disappointments later.  Especially since I have had such a struggle with my old "black" model smoker.  Even so, I am buying another one because I still think it's the most feature-rich smoker on the market (in it's price range).

I'll be sure to post pictures once I start using the new one.

Cheers!

Doctor Woody

Quote from: pensrock on January 08, 2009, 12:37:48 PM
Dr. Woody,
  Since you now have two smokers. Why not look into getting a larger heating element from Grainger.com and putting it into the OBS? There are some posts on the site where others have done just that. Still others bought these heating elements and used them in home made smokers. I think you can get a 900 watt element at a fair price and that will almost double the heat output you have now.
  But as stated eariler by FLB, keep the vent open, you do not want heat/smoke/moisture backing up into the smoke generator and killing it.
Good luck with the new DBS and welcome to the forum.
pens

Pensrock,

Not a bad idea.  I was thinking about selling it on eBay, as it will become yet another item to find a place to store.  I will look into this though.

Keeping the vent open is a great tip.  I will be sure to do it next time I smoke!

Thanks,

Doc

Doctor Woody

Quote from: easyridinole on January 08, 2009, 12:54:10 PM
Doctor,

Jeff

Where did you guys get your Maverick and Auber PID? I am interested in getting these for my 4 rack digital. The temps really do seem to go up and down a lot.

Thanks,

Ole

Ole,

I got my Auber PID here:  http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=72

And my Maverick here:  http://www.yardandpool.com/product.php?productid=947

Doc

easyridinole

Can you actually just plug it in and go and does the wire have to go through the top of the smoker?
Just want to make sure before I order one.

Thanks,

Ole
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

Doctor Woody

Quote from: easyridinole on January 08, 2009, 01:49:52 PM
Can you actually just plug it in and go and does the wire have to go through the top of the smoker?
Just want to make sure before I order one.

Thanks,

Ole

They do offer another sensor that goes through the back of the unit, but I am going to use the wire that goes through the top.  I always have a wire going through the top anyway as I always use a food probe.  Looks to me that the PID is placed in-line with the power cord going to the box heater.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Doc

pensrock

QuotePensrock,

Not a bad idea.  I was thinking about selling it on eBay, as it will become yet another item to find a place to store.  I will look into this though.

Ok Doc it was just a suggestion.

If you do decide to sell your OBS. You may want to ask here first, maybe someone in the forum would be interested?