Best Pepperoni seasoning

Started by birdboy, January 06, 2005, 04:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdboy

Whats the best pepperoni seasoning you've tried?  I like a flavorfull pretty spicey (not jalepeno spicy) pepperoni, not like the bland 'mild' pepperoni you find at most stores.

Cold Smoke

Anybody out there????? No one with any "ancient chinese secrets" ?? (Wow, I remember that phrase- not sure where it comes from)??

Birdboy- I have a Cabela's pepperoni kit that came with those small collagen[?] (slim jim size) casings- however I'm having a "blitch" of a time trying to find a stuffing tube small enough fit them. Any sugestions welcome- BTW- I'm not handy with raw stainless steel materials  to make my own- and not sure I want to spend a pile of $$$$ to have one custom made....And natural sheep casings are pretty darn expensive in these parts. I tried a recipe a while back from the Great Sausage Making Guru- [xx(][xx(] I used some encapsulated citric stuff that made it taste like that black squishy stuff between elephant's toes...Puke!!!

Cold Smoke

birdboy

Actually I was thinking of cutting thin strips of meat and pepperoni seasoning the heck out of it, then smoking/making jerky out of it.

Cold Smoke,
I wonder if one of the cake decorator bags with the removable tips would work?  The tips come in variety of plain round sizes.  I've used them for deviled ham which is fairly thick.

rogerdt

Cold Smoke,
I have read elsewhere that a jerky cannon is about the best thing to use when stuffing those small, 19-22mm, casings.  Supposedly, the smaller stuffing horns require a greater amount of pressure to push the meat mixture through and most electric grinders are not up to this task.  I have not tried this myself, but thought that I would pass it on anyways.  

I just recently purchased the Bradley smoker and pepperoni sticks and sausages are on my every growing list of new things to try.  While the Bradley is new to me, I am not new to smoking.  I have been smoking the traditional meats, beef, pork, and chicken,  on all sorts of smokers for the past twelve years.  The Bradley smoker appealed to me because of the cold smoking possibilities and the ease of use.

Roger

Cold Smoke

Thanks for the info guys- a friend just bought one of those jerky guns from Hi Mountain- I think I might just borrow that and give it a whirl- good suggestion! If that doesn't work I might just scrap the casings alltogether and just pump it out onto some aluminum window screen and toss into the BS or the oven. I'll let you know how that works out.

Birdboy- that cake decorator thingie might be another option- I know it works well to stuff ABTs.

Cold Smoke

Oldman

Cold Smoke,

I have an old style sauage packer (older than me!) When I needed a new size I went to a hardware store. Had them cut me one out of brass, and flare the end like you would a copper pipe.
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Rem Man

I have also had trouble finding a small stuffing horn for slim jims. I made one up from a small pipe nipple welded to a fender washer. Ugly but it worked. I recently bought cabelas stuffer and it came with a small horn for stuffing slim jims. it is about 2" where it hooks to the stuffer, but you could probably cut the funnel area down to fit a smaller stuffer. a company named Weston makes them for Cabela's and I am pretty sure you can get the horns directly from them for about $5.00 each. The 10mm tube is the one to get. Their URL is www.westonsupply.com.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Cold Smoke

Muchos gracias, Rem Man!

BTW- Welcome!

Cold Smoke

JJC

Thanks for the tip, Mike, and welcome! [:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA