Maple Turkey Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, January 08, 2009, 07:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Quote from: sodak on January 29, 2009, 12:39:24 PM
Watching you closely from a distance!  I've grabbed the Rebel Yell off the shelf and will be starting my brining activities tonight. 

I had to try the glaze before I put it on the turkey jerky........Oh, my gosh!  That stuff is awesome.  Got mine in the dehydrator now.  Hope it will be done by 9 pm ET tonight.  I don't think you'll regret doing this one!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

nickld

Duck, I can't wait to see the finished product! I'm going to have to do this recipe!  ;D

~Nick

pensrock

Ever since it was posted I have been wanting to make it. Bought the Wild Turkey but the turkey breast has not been on sale so I have been holding off. By time I get the meat, the Wild Turkey will be gone.  ;D ;D

Smoking Duck

OK, the jerky is done!  I do have to say that the final taste test was..........AWESOME!  They came out real well.  After a two hour smoke with maple, they went into the dehydrator at 155F.  Approximately 8 hours later, they were done.  I would definitely make this again and in fact, I'm already plaotting my next run and think I might substitute Jamaican Rum for the bourbon.  Not sure about that, but I do wonder what it would taste like.

Here's one of the racks:

And the rest of it:

SD

NePaSmoKer

Nice job SD. The dehydrator is working well for you.

nepas

Smoking Duck

I'm real happy with it, Nepas!  My only complaint is now I need more racks.  ;D  3 pounds of turkey jerky was all I could fit in it. :'(

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 29, 2009, 06:09:46 PM
I'm real happy with it, Nepas!  My only complaint is now I need more racks.  ;D  3 pounds of turkey jerky was all I could fit in it. :'(

You got the dehydrator at walymart right?  My daughter is customer service there, let me know the sz racks.

nepas

Smokin Soon

Great job Duck, I was just wondering about the texture of Turkey Jerkey. Is it a bit softer chew than beef?

Gizmo

You turkey slicing is much better than mine.  I should have slightly frozen the bird before slicing so it would come out more even and consistent.  I didn't want to open the door on the smoker for the glaze (o.k. kind of forgot as well) and so I gave the strips a dip in the glaze before hitting the dehydrator racks.  I did 1 hr 40 min of apple.
They are in the dehydrator now and hopefully they will not be overdone when I wake up.  Don't really want another night of 2 hours napping and testing, 2 hours napping and testing, 2 hours napping, darn some over done and now go to work.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

deb415611

Duck,

That looks great!   I keep meaning to go to the liquor store for the Bourbon but have not found a time,  now I have to.   I bought the turkey weeks ago. 

I may have to break down & get a dehydrator also.  Unfortunately it's one of those things I used to own but got rid of in a move, it was a cheapy.  I can use the "no, that's not new, I've had it forever line ;D"

Deb

Smoking Duck

SS, I wouldn't say it's a softer chew.  I took the turkey to the point of bending and tearing a little but not to the point where it would break when snapped.  It has the same consistency (maybe a little tougher due to it's leanness) as beef.  It does taste good!

Giz, I place it in the freezer 1 hour prior to slicing.  It makes a huge difference for me.....otherwise I wouldn't be able to slice very well either.  Hope yours come out okay.  The only upside to being unemployed is that I get to do all of this stuff during the day.  It'd be much harder if I was working.

Deb, I would recommend the dehydrator I have.  It's relatively inexpensive (if that's what you're looking for) but does a very good job (I've done jerky and fruit in it so far; gonna do garlic this weekend).  The model I have is Nesco American Harvest FD-61.  Even if ya get caught (which I know you won't  ;D), the price tag is easy to talk your way out of trouble.

SD

deb415611

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 30, 2009, 04:15:01 AM

Deb, I would recommend the dehydrator I have.  It's relatively inexpensive (if that's what you're looking for) but does a very good job (I've done jerky and fruit in it so far; gonna do garlic this weekend).  The model I have is Nesco American Harvest FD-61.  Even if ya get caught (which I know you won't  ;D), the price tag is easy to talk your way out of trouble.

SD

I always get caught but we pretend I don't  ;D   The Marinade book is supposed to arrive today!   I figure I'll go check out Walmart & see if they have one.  The one you have looks exactly like the one I used to have.  I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it, I had extra racks & everything. 

Smoking Duck

Quote from: deb415611 on January 30, 2009, 04:38:53 AM

SD

I always get caught but we pretend I don't  ;D   The Marinade book is supposed to arrive today!   I figure I'll go check out Walmart & see if they have one.  The one you have looks exactly like the one I used to have.  I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it, I had extra racks & everything. 

Sometimes I get the feeling I was adopted.  You and I do things very much alike  ;D  I do need to get more racks for mine though.  4 more racks would be about where I'd like to get with mine.

deb415611

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 30, 2009, 04:55:44 AM
Quote from: deb415611 on January 30, 2009, 04:38:53 AM

SD

Sometimes I get the feeling I was adopted.  You and I do things very much alike  ;D  I do need to get more racks for mine though.  4 more racks would be about where I'd like to get with mine.

It must have been me that was the adopted one,  my dad is 5'6" and mom is 5'2".  It's probably more likely that your parents had a short child than my parents producing someone 6'+   ;D ;D  So go figure, it looks like they kept you and gave me away ;D ;D ;) ;)

Smoking Duck

Hmmm........my dad is 5'9" and my mom is barely 5'.  I'm 6'1" and 240.  Both my mother and father are very slight in girth.  You may be on to something, Deb  ;D  The funny part is when I was growing up, my younger brother, who is 22 months younger than I am, was very small.  There were times when I was a foot and a half taller than him and as a senior in high school, he wrestled in the 98 pound weight class.  Boy, I spent a LOT of time in the principals office protecting him.  Now, he's a weightlifter and a cop......I wish he'd gotten into that line of work much earlier when I could have used that  ;D