Maple Turkey Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, January 08, 2009, 07:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mezwicker

I used 1 cup of course kosher salt and followed the recipe to a tee. I am not trying to criticized "THE jerkey expert". The salt flavor was so overwhelming that the batch wasn't edible. I am just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience with this recipe.

iceman

Mezwicker, I was just wondering did you use a bird that was all natural or did it have a "solution" in it like most poultry at the stores carry. I'm still trying to figure out how it got so salty.

scotts87

Digging up the old thread here!!

Well I also had a disappointment with this.  What I did was exactly HALF the brine recipe, because I only had just over 1 lb of turkey tenderloin strips to make into jerky. I like to experiment with small batches, before doing a full batch in case something goes aims. I used coarse Mortons sea salt, which is made up of pretty big grains.

I soaked overnight, which ended up being a couple hours longer than the recommended 8 hrs. When I drained it in the morning, I did rinse off the brine, mainly to get rid of the little chopped rosemary pieces.

I'd like to try again, but I will definitely be scaling back even further on the salt. But only after getting some actual KOSHER salt, so I can see with my own eyes, what the difference is between that, and what I actually used.

Saber 4

I use Morton's Kosher for all my cooking needs but after reading some of the detailed posts on what salt to use for sausage I have started using Hain's fine grain (table salt sized) Sea Salt for all my sausage and jerky making and it has made a big difference in the taste and ease of making consistent batches. Just my two cent's worth though.

NorthShoreMN

Salt brands have different grain sizes and do not weigh the same. Pick a salt and stick with it.
This site has full article by Schneider.

From N Y TIMES Diners Journal
Warning: Measure Your Salt
By EDWARD SCHNEIDER  APRIL 28, 2010 3:00 PM

1 cup of each
Morton's kosher: 250 grams (8 3/4 ounces)

Diamond Crystal kosher: 135 grams (4 3/4 ounces)

Table salt: 300 grams (10 5/8 ounces)

Coarse sea salt: 210 grams (7 3/8 ounces)

Malden sea salt: 120 grams (4 1/4 ounces)
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

NorthShoreMN

NEPAS
That brine and glaze also worked very well on pork tenderloin.  Looking back in my log I found I had copied it from your post and used on pork BB (before Bradley) back in lurking days.
Paul
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi