Maple Turkey Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, January 08, 2009, 07:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

This has got to be the best TJ i have made and ate. The recipe is easy and some of you may have seen it before  ;D

You will need.

2 lbs of fresh turkey breast cut 4 to 5" long and 1/4" thick
3 cups of maple bourbon brine (rec to follow) OR  South Carolina mustard marinade (to follow)
1 cup maple bourbon glaze used at the last 1/2 hour of smoking.

Maple bourbon brine.

6 cups water
1 cup kosher salt
1 1/2 cup maple syrup
1 cup bourbon (any kind)
2 T ground mustard
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 t hot pepper flakes
2 T chopped rosemary

In a large saucepan over med/high heat combine  water ,salt, maple syrup, bourbon, ground mustard, bay leaves, red pepper flakes and rosemary. Bring to a broil and stir to dissolve. Lower heat and simmer for 30 mins so the ingredients mix together. Remove from heat and let cool to room temp. Add turkey breast strips to brine and refridge for 8 hours.

Next is the Carolina Marinade. Use this if you dont want to use the brine.

1 1/2 cup buttermilk
2 T creole or course-grain brown mustard
2 T bourbon
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup ea of fresh herbs, Parsley, thyme and rosemary
1/2 t kosher salt
1 t course black pepper.

Combine all above ingredients in a mixer or food processor until smooth. Add turkey strips and marinade for 12 hours in a plastic bowl or bag in fridge

Maple Bourbon Glaze

1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup bourbon or sour mash
1/2 cup cider vinegar
grated zest and juice of 2 oranges
1 T dark brown sugar
1/4 cup brown or PYM........Plain Yellow Mustard
3/4 t cayenne pepper
1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari

In a saucepan bring all the ingredients to a simmer for 30 mins, reduce to you have 1 cup. Cool and set aside to room temp and place in a plastic container with top. Set aside you will need it later.

You can use either brine or the marinade for this. Prepare your smoker with any fruit pucks or hickory 6 pucks. Have smoker at a temp of 140 to 150* The TJ will soke for 2 hours. NOTE: Add the glaze at the last 1/2 hour of the smoke.

Place TJ strips in a dehydrator at a temp of 140 to 150*  and dehydrate for 6/8 hours until TJ is stiff but pliable.

My daughter had my cam when i made this or i would have posted my normal pics.

Enjoy

nepas

Smoking Duck

It's probably just as well you don't have the pics Nepas........I'd hate to have to replace this computer......it doesn't work well with drool all over it.

The wife has made it mandatory for me to have a drool bucket around when I open your posts that contain pics!

I've never done any jerky with the fowl............this has been added to my must do list when I get a dehydrator.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

NePaSmoKer

S D

:D  :D  :D  :D

Ya got to sign a waiver in my posts

Note to self: Dont let daughter use camera

nepas

Buck36

My wife has been bugging me to make turkey jerky....perfect timing! Thanks.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Buck36 on January 08, 2009, 07:44:31 PM
My wife has been bugging me to make turkey jerky....perfect timing! Thanks.

No problemo

nepas

pensrock

I seen in another post someone mentioned MTJ and I thought man that sounds good. I've never done TJ but this is a must do.

Thanks

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pensrock on January 09, 2009, 02:38:11 AM
I seen in another post someone mentioned MTJ and I thought man that sounds good. I've never done TJ but this is a must do.

Thanks

Anytime pens

nepas

easyridinole

Thanks for the recipes Nepas! This is something I always wanted to try and really didn't know what I wanted to use to make it. I know now
! :)
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

deb415611

Thanks Nepas!   I have wanted to do some turkey jerky.   Is this the maple turkey jerky that Giz's post referred to a few days ago?

Off to find the liquor store for the bourbon  ;)  Not being a bourbon drinker - what brand would I want to buy?  Thinking for possible human consumption also? 

NePaSmoKer

deb ya just cant beat jack daniels or beam

It might be the one giz was talking about  ;D

nepas

deb415611

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 09, 2009, 04:21:17 AM

nepas

Is that grin a "i'm not telling"  ;D   I guess I'll have to buy the book Giz was talking about to find out for sure.  I now have an excuse to buy another cookbook. 

Thanks Nepas!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: deb415611 on January 09, 2009, 04:29:22 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 09, 2009, 04:21:17 AM

nepas

Is that grin a "i'm not telling"  ;D   I guess I'll have to buy the book Giz was talking about to find out for sure.  I now have an excuse to buy another cookbook. 

Thanks Nepas!

giz is a good friend. yes i have that book.

YVW deb

nepas

HCT

Thanks for the recipes Nepas. No pics, no drool. :D Whew!!!
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: HCT on January 09, 2009, 04:52:11 AM
Thanks for the recipes Nepas. No pics, no drool. :D Whew!!!

:D  :D

yeah its rare when i dont have pics.

nepas

Gizmo

Quote from: deb415611 on January 09, 2009, 04:16:10 AM
Thanks Nepas!   I have wanted to do some turkey jerky.   Is this the maple turkey jerky that Giz's post referred to a few days ago?

Off to find the liquor store for the bourbon  ;)  Not being a bourbon drinker - what brand would I want to buy?  Thinking for possible human consumption also? 

Yes, this would be the recipe out of Marinades except for the water measurement.  Jim's recipe states 6 quarts of water instead of 6 cups.  He also has a Honey-Cognac version.

The marinades book covers a lot of territory, American South & Southwest, Latin America & the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Eastern Med., The Middle East, North Africa, and Asia.

My next Jerky run will be the Maple Turkey as well.
My next Scallop run will be the Grilled Scallop Kabobs with Tequila-almond marinade.  I think Jim made a mistake in the Tequila-Almond marinade recipe though.  Only calls for 1/2 cup of Tequila, and I think it should be a full cup.  1/2 for the marinade of food and 1/2 cup for the marinade of the cook.  ;D

Another thread recently mentioned some Catfish so I thought I'd mention the Hickory-Smoked Catfish looks like a great recipe as well.  He uses the same Maple-Bourbon brine to keep the fish from flaking along with a Firehouse Mustard BBQ Sauce.  The Cats are cold smoked.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/