Duck

Started by car54, January 09, 2009, 11:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

I cold smoked a whole duck with apple for 40 minutes then I cooked it for the next 5 hours.

Here is a link to the cooking technique.
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/special/2006/150best/roast-duck.html

It turned out great. I glazed it during the last 1/2 hour The meat was juicy,the skin was crispy and it had no fat.
My wife said that it was the best duck that she has ever had.

Brad

Buck36

Nice pic!  That looks incredible.

Caneyscud

Congrats on not only the duck but also for your wife liking it also!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

smokeitall

Now I'm really hungry...that looks great!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

OH MY!!!! :o

That looks incredible.

KyNola

Smoking Duck

Wow, Brad!  Now that is a fine looking waterfowl.  Was this a wild duck or a farm-raised duck?  Either way, it looks incredible.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

car54

Smoking Duck,

The duck was a domestic one. I did not brine it. All I did was to season and stuff it with aromatics. The meat was very tender and moist. My wife, who never eats the skin(dietary incorrect) ate the skin.  I will cook duck this way again.

Brad

Smoking Duck

That sounds awesome Brad.  While I prefer to shoot the ducks I eat, I do believe that the domestic ones are much better tasting due to the fact that they do not fly and thus, the meat is alot more tender and a lot fattier for more flavor.  All that flying done by wild ducks tend to make them a little tougher than the domestic ones.  We have a domestic duck farm about 20 minutes south of me..if I'm making dinner for friends, I will usually go down there and get some as they come pretty cheap buying direct and a lot of the folks that I serve dinner to can tell the difference between a wild and domestic duck.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Gizmo

Now I am wishing I had bought that big duck at the market today instead of the ingredients for the Smoked Chicken Pot Pie I make from the two smoked Beer Can Yard birds I made the other day.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

HCT

I definately will do this recipe with my next duck. It looks incredible. :)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

deb415611

I have never done a duck, only eaten it in restaurants.  I think I will have to try this recipe sometime,  It looks awesome Brad. 

tsquared

Thanks car54--I've been looking for a good duck recipe. I think I'll try the asian version, with maybe more smoke than the 40 minutes you gave it. How was yours for strength of smoke taste.
T2

car54

To be truthful there was no smoke taste.

Brad

tsquared

In that case I think I'll give it 2 hrs and see what that's like. Won't happen this weekend as I've got 22 lbs of bone in pork shoulder going. I'll let you know how it goes in  a couple of weeks. I've been meaning to try duck for years since the smoked duck we get here in Chinatown is so awesome. You've inspired me so this time I won't forget to duck.
T2