Quick and Easy Bone-In Turkey Breast Recipe

Started by Doctor Woody, January 11, 2009, 09:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor Woody

The result was similar.  The amount of Tender Quick Salt applied was about the same as the non-iodized.  It was interesting though.  The meat was pink about 2/3 of the way to the bone and then was yellow.  Looks like that is how far the penetration of the curing salt made it.  If I use Tender Quick Salt again, I would let it sit in the refrigerator for two days instead of one.

It was still a nice result though.

Habanero Smoker

As Gizmo has stated; TQ is a cure not a salt for seasoning. TQ is .5% sodium nitrite, .5% sodium nitrate, ~78% salt, ~28% sugar and ~1% anti caking ingredient.

For TQ if you follow the instructions, by volume you generally will use more TQ then the amount of salt called for in a brine; if you are replacing it for salt. TQ requires 1 cup per quart, most brines require 1 cup or less of salt per gallon.

So if you replaced the salt for TQ; one/one you less salt then your original recipe, and not enough sodium nitrite and/or nitrate. It's the sodium nitrite that causes the turkey meat to remain red after it has been cooked. So you have stated, you didn't cure long enough so increase the curing time, or used TQ as directed and cure for 24 hours.

It should have also given the turkey a ham like flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Doctor Woody

I was doing a dry rub cure, so a longer curing time would probably have worked.  With a wet brine, I would definitely use the correct ratio of QB to liquid.

sherlock

Just curious.................
I was always afraid to keep poultry at temps below 140 for that long. Have I been concerned for nothing?

•Take out of refrigerator and let sit for a couple hours.
•Put in preheated, 120 degree F smoker and apply smoke for 1.5 to 2 hours using apple or hickory.  Insert your meat probe into thickest part of breast.

Thanks for your help here
Sherlock

Doctor Woody

Quote from: sherlock on August 05, 2009, 11:52:34 AM
Just curious.................
I was always afraid to keep poultry at temps below 140 for that long. Have I been concerned for nothing?

Someone jump in if you don't think what I'm saying is correct, but I believe the curing agents make it safe to keep poultry at a lower temp for limited amounts of time.  Then the higher heat ends up killing any harmful bacteria if there ever was some.