Another Mod...

Started by Mr Walleye, January 11, 2009, 01:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Well... I came across this brain wave...  ::)

You know me... just can't leave things alone!  ::)

Anyway, I've always wanted to add something to provide additional heat. With the PID controlling things it's more for getting up to temp and recovering temp faster, especially when doing large loads. Last summer when I was ordering a number of things from Bryan at Yard & Pool I also ordered an additional heater element and reflector. So here is my plan...

In this photo you can see how I ground a notch in the ceramic cap for the existing heater element. My plan is to run high temp wire directly from the element to the plug on the back of the DBS. The wire will be run parallel to the original wiring and come out the notch I created in the cap for the original heater, then connected to the 2nd heater.  You can also see where I drilled a hole through the reflector to mount the 2nd heating element. The hole is 5/8", just large enough for the insulator on the end of the heating element to fit into, it sits nicely up against lip of the insulator.

Click to enlarge...

Here's another picture of the reflector with the 2nd heating element mounted into it.

I will post updates to this thread once I have it finished and once I've done some testing. Providing this works, which I don't see why it won't, it is a very economical heating mod. The heater element was $12.00 and the new reflector was $4.00

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

Mike,
That looks cool.

If I send you a reflector.....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Interesting project. I can't wait to see the finished product.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Looking good, Mike.  I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this update.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caneyscud

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Mr Walleye

Ok... I picked up some high temp wire and high temp connectors today at an appliance repair shop so I got at it tonight.

I used 14 gauge wire and ran it from the new 2nd heater right back to the plug in the back of the DBS. It was a little more work to remove the back off the DBS because I have a circulation fan installed as well.

In this photo you can see where I cut off the female spade connectors on the plug and installed new female spade connectors on the new wire and original wire.

Click to enlarge...

In this photo you can see I have the new wiring with the ring connectors installed along side the original wires.

In this photo you can see I have the original heater, reflector and 2nd heater all mounted and wired.

This is just a little bit of a close up to see how I ran the wires. It is high temp wire but I wanted it to not be touching anything metal. The reflector should shield the wires as well.

Here it is all complete.

One last photo of it running (no flash).

I played around with it for a while taking photos but I had the door open and the PID read 80 degrees. I closed the door and in 11 minutes it was at 210 degrees.  :o If this is any indication of how this baby will work I'll be a happy camper.  ;)

I clearly have to rerun the auto-tune on the PID as this has changed the heating and recovery times dramatically. Hopefully I will get a chance this weekend to smoke a big batch of ribs and rerun the auto-tune as well.

The nice thing about this mod is everything is original parts and the total cost is about $20.

Mike

Gizmo

He Mike,
The glow of the two heaters appear to be different.  Are they the same rating and the color difference is an optical illusion or possible the older element is worn down a bit compared to a spanking clean new element?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Looks good Mike. After you do more testing do you think this can go up on the recipe site.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

FLBentRider

Looks good Mike, but the airfare to come down here for some warm weather wilst installing it in mine might blow the budget fuse on the project.

;D ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Consiglieri

Now I want to see your car.

That upgrade looks awesome!
Consiglieri

Mr Walleye

Thanks guys

Giz
It is somewhat of an illusion but the new element is brighter. I'm not sure if it because it is new as opposed to the old one having so much discoloration from the gazillion smokes I've done or what. I think if I was doing it again I would replace the old one with a new one as well, especially with a new element only being $12 but the old one does seem to work properly though.

Habs
Not a problem. Once I've done some actual smokes with it I can add the information and reformat it a bit if you like.

If the preliminary tests are any indication this sucker should rock! I'll keep you guys posted on how well this baby performs.

Mike

westexasmoker

Nice job Mike!

Can't wait to hear the how your pre-lim smokes goes!  This is moving to the to do list!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Mr Walleye on January 13, 2009, 06:57:12 AM
Thanks guys

Giz
It is somewhat of an illusion but the new element is brighter. I'm not sure if it because it is new as opposed to the old one having so much discoloration from the gazillion smokes I've done or what. I think if I was doing it again I would replace the old one with a new one as well, especially with a new element only being $12 but the old one does seem to work properly though.

Habs
Not a problem. Once I've done some actual smokes with it I can add the information and reformat it a bit if you like.

If the preliminary tests are any indication this sucker should rock! I'll keep you guys posted on how well this baby performs.

Mike

That will be great.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smoking Duck

You are definitely Tim the Toolman.  It occurred to me that one would want something like that up there in Canada where it's so bitterly cold and the Bradley could use some extra help in coming up to temp.  Then, it dawned on me that you have your Bradley set up in the heated garage and I figured the reason you did this modification was because you could  ;D

I smoked yesterday, outside where it was a balmy single digits weather and a wind chill well below zero and the good ol' Bradley had no trouble getting to temp and actually climbed back pretty good even after opening the door.  I can't imagine what my Bradley will do when you come to visit and fix mine up that good  ;D

Real nice job, Mike!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

smokeitall

I think I will have to do this mod also....even if I don't need it.  More power is always better....Go Tim the tool man Taylor, wait I mean Mike the tool man Walleye.  You are an engineer right???