Another Mod...

Started by Mr Walleye, January 11, 2009, 01:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghosttown

And the onboard temperature controller either non digital or digital can handle the load of two 500w elements?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

I don't know if it is safe to run a modified Bradley without a PID. I've always used some type of temperature controller when running two 500 watts. There are at least a few on this forum that are running 1000w or 900w without a PID. I have the old original Bradley. Besides the issue of the Bradley controller handling the extra load I mainly use my third party temperature controller as an extra insurance to prevent the cabinet from getting too hot, and possibly causing a fire.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Actually, they are both parallel circuits.  I think the how-to in the mods section ran the wires for both elements all the way to the back because he wasn't sure if the 14 ga wire could handle the 1000W load. To be in series the power would have to go to the first element, pass through it and out to the second element, pass through it and back to the source from the second element.  Think of the "R" below as a 500W element.

TNRockyraccoon

Good afternoon fellow smokers!

I'm about to add a second element to my parts and pieces Bradley Smoker. Its a 6 rack digital tower using an OBS smoke generator.

I looked over several threads and can't seem to find the size of the new connectors for the back of the tower? I suppose I could just open it up first then run to the hardware store....but I'd love to have everything ready to go when I crack it open. My plan is to run new wires for the new element to the back of the tower.

Any help is much appreciated.

Orion

Spade connectors were used in the back of my BDS. Just have two female and two male 14-16 guage spade connectors and you should be good to assemble. I can't remember if I used two male or two female to connect the wires and plug in so have both on hand. Blue ones if I recall as size is differentiated by colour as well as size .
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Habanero Smoker

If you are following Mike's mod, though it's been a long time since I've done this mod, I'm sure that the spade connectors are 1/4-inch. You will need two of them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TNRockyraccoon