SeaFood ?

Started by commonsense, January 11, 2009, 03:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Quote from: La Quinta on January 11, 2009, 05:20:49 PM
Let us not forget soft shelled crabs!! Cold smoked and then dredged in flour and fried in butter...life is good!!!  ;D

OH Oh OH  - Just found some - frozen, but so be it.  Might be for lunch this weekend

Shakespeare
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Caneyscud

Quote from: tsquared on January 12, 2009, 09:16:28 PM
I've done lots of all the sub species of salmon, both hot and cold smoked. I've done some tuna, tried halibut once or twice. I do smoked oysters quite often, paired with a good IPA. Here's a pic of one of my favourite meals. These ones were actually grilled in the shell and not smoked, but you get the idea!

Cheers,
T2
Man, those look outta this world.  I usually only eat them raw or fried occassionally, but those look good.

Shakespeare

josbocc

LaQuinta,

Sorry for not responding sooner, but anyways, I am in a little town called Dannemora, NY.  We are about 60 miles south of Montreal (yup Canada).  More than just a few hours inland, it's tough to get good (not to mention fresh) seafood here.

I'm sure that if I crossed the "pond" (Lake Champlain) to Burlington, VT that I might find a seafood market that could meet my desires.  However, that is either a two hour ride, or a very expensive ferry ride.  Becomes a little cost prohibitive.

I can however boast of some of the world's greatest redneck surf and turf.  Grilled woodchuck, and smoked carp.   ;) ;)

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

La Quinta

Carp is good, although (I think everybody thinks it's a trash fish) IMHO...as far as woodchuck...sorry don't know what that is???

Smoking Duck

Woodchuck is groundhog......same beast.  I've never had carp to eat but when you catch one on a fly rod, you'd never call it a trash fish.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caneyscud

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 15, 2009, 06:53:54 PM
Woodchuck is groundhog......same beast.  I've never had carp to eat but when you catch one on a fly rod, you'd never call it a trash fish.

We have an annual Fly Fishing for Carp contest here every year.  Last year the winner was a 42 pounder - not a trash fish.  Wary prey.  Carp has a wonderful flavor when grown in good waters.  I just find it hard to get past the bones.  Of all the things I've eaten - groundhog isn't one of them.  Only reason is that we didn't have any where I grew up. 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Air

Smoking Duck

I don't get out much to flyfish for them(only done it once), but they're not called the poor man's tarpon for nothing! 

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 16, 2009, 08:53:36 AM
I don't get out much to flyfish for them(only done it once), but they're not called the poor man's tarpon for nothing! 

Duck they make good pre-season bow practice as well. Add a reel to you bow and a fishing arrow. Talk about A Blast.. I've only done it a couple of time with some buddies but if I can come up with another bow you can bet its gonna be set up for Fishing.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoking Duck

Oh, bowfishing for them, I've done quite a bit...........my method of hunting is usually bowhunting if I have a choice. I'll go gun hunting and have absolutely nothing against it....just much prefer to bowhunt. 

FLBentRider

Any Hunting is better than No Hunting... It's been too long since I went Hunting - Pigs in FL, Deer in PA.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 16, 2009, 06:00:27 PM
Any Hunting is better than No Hunting... It's been too long since I went Hunting - Pigs in FL, Deer in PA.

You're right FL......any hunting is better than no hunting.  Never done the pig hunt but would love to with my bow.  Sometime, I need to tell the story of when I shot a moose with my bow and I swore I was gonna get killed by the moose.  Funny story now......scared to death when it happened.

SD

stillsmoking

Carp, bows?  Good fun!  Used to catch carp by hand and with a rod but had a good friend who liked to throw those little, sharp sticks with a string and a piece of wood.  We went to places on the Snake River in Idaho where carp are numerous, large and accesible.  Lots of thrashing and jumping.  Lots of fun to stand in the river with a rod and watch the carp jumping around in spawning phase.  Have caougt carp up to 30 pounds and swear I have seen carp that make those look small.  I never considered carp hard to catch as I have caught them on every kind of gear up to and including worms, spinners and bass plugs.  Carp are good to eat if caught in clean water, the important thing is to cut the blood/kidney line out of the body cavity as quickly as possible.  Bony but not that tought to fillet and darn good fish if deep fried in any good batter.

Never ate woodchuck but always thought it looked good!  Fat rabbit or porcupine without the spines.  Always thought the way to cook it would be low and slow to render the fat.  No woodchuks here but sure would do try the smoker if I get the chance again!

Sorry, I know this off subject!

Smoking Duck

If you're gonna go with woodchuck, go with the young ones.  The bigger they get, the greasier the meat becomes.  They are tough to bowhunt as well.  They have a nickname of "ground grizzly" and I can attest to their toughness. 

FLBentRider

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 16, 2009, 12:03:24 PM
Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 16, 2009, 08:53:36 AM

Duck they make good pre-season bow practice as well. Add a reel to you bow and a fishing arrow. Talk about A Blast.. I've only done it a couple of time with some buddies but if I can come up with another bow you can bet its gonna be set up for Fishing.

Wish you lived close, I'm going to get rid of my bow set up to bowfish.  Love to have someone have it!  Also has sights and counterweights.  Older compound with 70# pull if I remember.  Got a carp notch or two on it.  Got a gar once by mistake.  Arrow went in where the gar poop comes out and out just before the gills.  Unscrewed the head pulled the arrow out put the gar back in the water and the dang thing swam off.  Swear I saw it the next week still swimming around.  Tough fish, don't fool with them much anymore except going to go after them with a fly rod next year some.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Air