SeaFood ?

Started by commonsense, January 11, 2009, 03:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

commonsense

Has anyone done seafood in their smoker at all?

If so what, how, and what were the results?

Mrs. Commonsense wants to know.

Commonsense

Gizmo

Salmon, trout, tuna, yellow tail, bass, crappie, oysters, shrimp, scallops, crab legs just to name a few.

Results are great or good depending on what you are looking for.  There are many ways to cook all of the above, cold or hot smoked depending on the finish you want.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Check under the Fish section........if it can be smoked you have a 99.9999999999999999% chance that it's been tried in the Bradley.  I never say never  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

stillsmoking

Hi commonsense, I am kind of an equal opportunity smoker like Gizmo and have access to the fresh stuff so experiment on a regular basis.  Salmon, halibut, rockfish, scallops, shrimp, crab, trout it is all good.  I have the opportunity to eat a lot of salmon and can honestly say some of the best salmon I have ever had was a sockeye fillet done in the Bradley.  Smoke flavoring or actual smoking all are fairly easy with the Bradley.  If you look around the forum a bit there are some good recipes or starting places along with the recipe book that came with the Bradley.  I tend to tweak things to fit my own idea of what tastes good but the recipes and knowledge in the forum are a great place to start.

La Quinta

Let us not forget soft shelled crabs!! Cold smoked and then dredged in flour and fried in butter...life is good!!!  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Manxman's smoked mussels are a must try.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteManxman's smoked mussels are a must try.

In addition to mussels (thanks for the compliment Habs  :)) I would add cod, haddock, pollack, whiting, bass, salmon, trout, prawns, crab, mackeral, herring, king and queen scallops. Also smoked fish (e.g. cod / whiting) roe is superb in the BS.

As others have said check out the fish section here or the link to the recipe site for a whole host more recipes. If you still have any specific questions just post them here and there are plenty of "fishy" people who can answer your queries.  ;) :D
Manxman

josbocc

QuoteLet us not forget soft shelled crabs!! Cold smoked and then dredged in flour and fried in butter

Now that sounds like something that I could really sink my teeth into.  We don't get much of an opportunity to get soft shell up here in the North..., but I will go out of my way when traveling South to find those delicious little crustaceons.
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

La Quinta

Hey josbocc...where are you from? (my apologies if you have posted it before) but...soft shells are from the Northeast...maybe you are way north of that?

Smoking Duck

Maybe the Maryland Blue Crabs? My gosh do I love those with an Old Bay type seasoning and a case of beer!

La Quinta

You're pulling my chain Giggles...yes...in theory they are blues...captured just before molting...put in cages until they molt. Really exspensive out here...less in my home state but...shipping them here is stupid (would cost the same) so...we do them for special occasions...I tend to be a purist with soft shells...a little cold smoke...a little flour...a little garlic...a little olive oil...just a nice quick saute...(deep fry to me...IS ALL WRONG)...but what do I know...  ::)

Smoking Duck

I'm just waiting for you to get a bushel of them and then send me an airplane ticket  ;D  Why would I yank your chain, Q  ??? ;) ;D

tsquared

I've done lots of all the sub species of salmon, both hot and cold smoked. I've done some tuna,smelt, tried halibut once or twice. I do smoked oysters quite often, paired with a good IPA. Here's a pic of one of my favourite meals. These ones were actually grilled in the shell and not smoked, but you get the idea!

Cheers,
T2

Smoking Duck

I love oysters......but the wife doesn't like it when I eat them.  :-[

La Quinta

Oh geezzz Giggles....

T2...looks very familiar!!!