Dorodo and Tuna

Started by cologcab, January 07, 2005, 06:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cologcab

Anyone ever smoke these I got some froma freind problem is their is no skin

nsxbill

Never smoked anything but Salmon, but on any fish without skin, I would cover contact points on shelf with lemon slices - fish on top for both flavor and ease of removing from shelf.  A little dill and lemon on top.  Smoke with alder bisquettes should be great.  To brine or not to brine is the question you have answer yourself.  Personally I would brine first, dry in fridge and then go for it.  What the heck you get to try with something that was free.  Even if it isn't perfect it will still be great.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

JJC

I agree with Bill about the brining.  Haven't tried dorado in the smoker.  My guess would be that dorado might not be the best fish to smoke, if my memory is correct and it is a relatively non-oily white fish.  My limited experience with tuna suggests that the fattier tuna (more oil) was better smoked than the drier cuts of tuna.

Also think Bill is spot-on about the alder.  I love apple/cherry (2:1), oak, or alder for salmon, but alder was definitely better for the tuna.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA