Ever attempted Chili?

Started by floaty, January 11, 2009, 05:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I generally use more then one variety of beans also. Kidney, black and navy beans are a good combination. Their is a site that sells a 7 bean mixture for soup, I was thinking of ordering the beans to use in a chili. Occasionally I will add potatoes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Buck36

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 14, 2009, 01:39:19 AM
Occasionally I will add potatoes.

If the Texans flipped over using beans, this will put them over the edge. ;D

Anyways everyone knows Ohio invented chili down in Cincinnati!  :D

Caneyscud

Quote from: Buck36 on January 14, 2009, 02:09:01 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 14, 2009, 01:39:19 AM
Occasionally I will add potatoes.

If the Texans flipped over using beans, this will put them over the edge. ;D

Anyways everyone knows Ohio invented chili down in Cincinnati!  :D

Buck,

That's pretty good.  I didn't realize what "real" spaghetti sauce (tomato gravy?) tasted like until college.  Seems all what my mother would do is take her chili, reduce the chili powder a little, add more garlic and some oregano and thyme and put it over the noodles!   :D
One of my good friends in college had parents that had come over from the mother country.  At least once a semester there was a road trip to his house and boy did she pile the table high for us.  The first trip there, I knew what we had been having at home was chili over spaghetti noodles all along.  Oh well!

4-way or 5-way chili is pretty good eats even with the strange chili seasonings of allspice, cinnamon, worcetsershire and boiled beef.  :D
Interesting thing is the "original" Cincinnati chili did not include beans either - they were added as a layer in 5-way!   Since it is such good eats we'll even let slip by the fact that Cincinnati chili wasn't even invented until 1920's or 30's - some century to three centuries AFTER Texas Red!   ;D

Frito Pie rules! - Standard fare at Texas High School football games - or at least used to be - I've only been back to one in the last 35 years! 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Air
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Smokin Soon

Smoking Duck

I love Skyline Chili........I use to take down about 10 of those little hot dogs that were covered in chili and piled with 7" of shredded cheese and topped with a bunch of hot sauce.  Gosh, I miss those days!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

HCT

Real men don't use Beano! :D :D :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smokin Soon on January 14, 2009, 06:05:49 AM
Nepa, Is this the 7 bean place?

http://www.dakotaseasonings.com/pd_bean.cfm

I posted about the 7 beans, that not it. As a matter of fact I made a mistake it's a 10 bean mix (all dry beans); but the 7 beans looks good.

Here is the site that has the 10 bean mix. Next time I need spices I'm going to include this in my order.
Ten Bean Blend

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

Habs...thanks for trying to reel this post in...beans are beans...if you treat them properly they will do the same....chilli includes beans...it's a rule....  ::)

floaty

Actually this post was started as a way to find out if anyone had ever "smoked" chili in the bradley. 
I had no idea that people were so serious about the bean vs. no bean debate.  Or better yet, the origins of chili.  Wow.  You guys are cracking me up!
Anybody got a good quick SIMPLE recipe for chili?  For the record, I do not want beans in my chili. 
I want my chili "ALL KILLER NO FILLER!"  ;D
Thanks for all the responses so far!

Gizmo

Here is the link to my ingredients if you leave out the chicken and dinosaur bones.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3263.msg41673#msg41673
After smoke, finish browning the meat in a skillet if necessary. Slow cook with additional spices (chili powder, paprika, celery salt, etc. to taste.  Add some fire roasted tomatoes, smoked garlic and what ever else to taste.

Beans or no beans, your choice.  The real drawback to using them in the original batch is they do not reheat well and mush out on you.  If you want beans, only add what you need for the amount you are going to eat at the time.  Chili gets better with age so it will be even better in a day or two.  When you go to reheat your chili, add the beans and let it flavor up a bit.
I though I had a recipe written down some where but I just wing it with the flavoring anyway.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

IKnowWood

I have always thought of using smoked meet in my chili.  (Note the pepper has an 'e' and the stew a 'i', consider who changes that lettering)

In Mexico its not called Chili, its gravy or Mole.  Has no carne or frijole, much less a tomato. 

As far as recipe, ours are simple, some with beans other not.  There is a post in here somewhere of a 3-dump chili that is real good. We like that one, sure is fiery. 

Ran across another one in the latest Penzy's catalog, a hearty chili made with beef short ribs and chorizo.  They have a new spice blend, Chili 9000 that has all sorts of stuff in it. It sounds real good.  Its on their web site.  www.penzeys.com

2 1⁄2 lbs. beef short ribs, bone-in
3-4 TB. CHILI 9000, divided
2 lb. chorizo sausage
1 large onion, minced
1 tsp. dry MINCED GARLIC
1-2 tsp. salt (to taste)
2 14.5 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
2 14.5 oz. cans puréed tomatoes
4 Cups water
1⁄2 Cup chopped fresh cilantro

Now I wonder if I can smoke the ribs before adding to stock pot....   hmmm.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Caneyscud

Quote from: HCT on January 14, 2009, 12:34:09 PM
Real men don't use Beano! :D :D :D
Let me rearrange that for you HCT

Real men who eat real chili - don't need Beano!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Air

Caneyscud

Quote from: IKnowWood on January 15, 2009, 06:35:07 AM
I have always thought of using smoked meet in my chili.  (Note the pepper has an 'e' and the stew a 'i', consider who changes that lettering)

In Mexico its not called Chili, its gravy or Mole.  Has no carne or frijole, much less a tomato. 

As far as recipe, ours are simple, some with beans other not.  There is a post in here somewhere of a 3-dump chili that is real good. We like that one, sure is fiery. 

Ran across another one in the latest Penzy's catalog, a hearty chili made with beef short ribs and chorizo.  They have a new spice blend, Chili 9000 that has all sorts of stuff in it. It sounds real good.  Its on their web site.  www.penzeys.com

2 1⁄2 lbs. beef short ribs, bone-in
3-4 TB. CHILI 9000, divided
2 lb. chorizo sausage
1 large onion, minced
1 tsp. dry MINCED GARLIC
1-2 tsp. salt (to taste)
2 14.5 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
2 14.5 oz. cans puréed tomatoes
4 Cups water
1⁄2 Cup chopped fresh cilantro

Now I wonder if I can smoke the ribs before adding to stock pot....   hmmm.

Man, that looks tasty - real tasty!  When I make it, I might substitute on of the puree cans or both with some beef broth - or brisket drippings and add a little cumin.  Pour that over some skillet cornbread, some fritos, or cheese roll-ups, add a few jalepenos and boy you would have a meal!
Thanks

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Air

NePaSmoKer

Beans  Beans Beans

my fav  ;D

http://www.gambino.com/beans/beans.htm   turn your sound up  :D  :D

nepas

FLBentRider

I polled my family, asking it they would like me to smoke some of the meat before it goes into the chili, and they said:

Not really....

???

It then occurred to me that they have been eating my chili, which is a recipe that has been honed over the years. They don't want me to mess with it!

;D ;D

I guess I'm OK with that, since they eat everything else I smoke.... and ask for more!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!