Ever attempted Chili?

Started by floaty, January 11, 2009, 05:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floaty

Thanks for all the ideas.  Good discussion on here!  Iknowwood...crazy that you put that recipe on the board..I was already thinking about putting chorizo in my chili!  I will probably use a very similar recipe to the one you posted.  I'm just gonna throw a bunch of stuff together and see what happens.

Smoking Duck

Quote from: floaty on January 15, 2009, 08:14:31 PM
Thanks for all the ideas.  Good discussion on here!  Iknowwood...crazy that you put that recipe on the board..I was already thinking about putting chorizo in my chili!  I will probably use a very similar recipe to the one you posted.  I'm just gonna throw a bunch of stuff together and see what happens.

The best chilis I've ever done have come by inspiration versus a recipe.  The sad part is that now I wish I had written them down  :(

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caneyscud

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 15, 2009, 04:49:22 PM
I polled my family, asking it they would like me to smoke some of the meat before it goes into the chili, and they said:

Not really....

Same around my house - made a pot 3 weeks ago outta some leftover smoked/barbecued pork loin that didn't go over well - and I wasn't a fan either.  Last weekend, I made a pot with some chuck and about a third of some leftover frozen bbq brisket.  Now that one was much better.  The smoke flavor was toned down to just a undertone of flavor.  I guess never having chili with anything smoked in it has caused my palate to think that it is a strange flavor to find in there.  Sorta the same with me and bacon cheeseburgers.  I like a great grilled burger, and don't think that cheese improves it much (unless I use Kraft's Garlic Cheese).  But I'm especially not fond of bacon on a burger.  Maybe it's just because of the precooked and overcooked stuff that get added to those fast food burgers.  A good think slice of some of those bacons I've seen pics of on this forum, may be another thing.  I can't say I don't like either the cheese or bacon, just that I don't get the extra fat value and calories worth of additional pleasure. 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Air
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

stillsmoking

We make a pot of chili pretty much every weekend but yeah got the beans and the meat.  Chili in this house has warmth, meat and beans.  My personal preference is some fire, good food makes you sweat, but the wife and kid do not share my prefrerence.  Our easy recipe;

2 pounds smoked lean burger (I smoke about 2 hours with hickory and cherry)
2-3 medium onions (hot not sweet preffered) also smoke about two hours
1 can Rotel tomatoes ( we like the kind with lime and garlic)
1 can chopped tomatoes
1/3 jar hot Green Mountain Gringo Salsa
5 tablespoons chili powder
2 cans beans (whatever you like, I prefer black beans or pinto beans or a mix of both)
5 cups water (feel free to substitute beer, love the sweet taste beer gives chili)
Garlic (I like lots, please yourself)

Smoke the burger and onions, chop up and brown in pan with chili powder
In the meantime put the rest of the ingredients in a large pot and begin heating
Add the meat and onions to the other ingredients and bring to a good boil
Turn heat down and simmer for an hour
Ready to serve!
Admittedly I often add Chipolte or other pepper powder, I also like chile garlic sauce in my chili.  This is simple, easy to make and very good whether fresh or reheated.