Too Salty!!!!

Started by Caribou, January 12, 2009, 12:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Mr Walleye on January 12, 2009, 04:40:20 PM
Habs

You are correct (as usual  ;) ) the recipes on their site indicate 1.5 tsp per lb in their sausage recipes. This leads me to a few thoughts/questions.

Why is their labelling so confusing?
Secondly, I quickly read through their booklet and the amounts are different for different sausage?
Why do they sell their booklet separately from their cure?

Things that make ya go hmmmmm.  ???

No wonder I quit using it!  :D
There are a ton of people who use it in sausage at 1 tbs per pound in sausage according to various forums around the net.

Mike

Hi Mike;

Thanks for the compliment, but you know I'm not always right. I do know when I make a mistake I can count on you for back up and to make sure members always get the correct answers.  :)

Your questions have me wondering now. I still have some TQ left. The only time I use it is when I brine and smoke chicken or turkey for a friend of mine. He likes the flavor the cure give it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I started curing with MTQ, but now use the basic cure mix for everything.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caribou

I think I'm ready to start using the cure separately, too.

Thanks 10.5, the * next to the MTQ means to use a knife to level the amount in measuring spoon and not to pack or compress the amount.  I saw that * on there, too and had to look to the front of that chapter to know what it meant. 
Carolyn

Smoking Duck

Carolyn,

That's a great pic in your signature line!

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caribou

Thanks SD!
That's my 6 year old daughter Emma with her first bass she caught this summer.
Thought I'd follow Dr. Phil's advice and "get real" with my pics.
Hence my steers instead of Sara...for now! ;)
Carolyn

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Caribou on January 13, 2009, 06:11:49 AM
Thanks SD!
That's my 6 year old daughter Emma with her first bass she caught this summer.
Thought I'd follow Dr. Phil's advice and "get real" with my pics.
Hence my steers instead of Sara...for now! ;)
Carolyn

Can't get any more REAL than that Dinner in Hand and Dinner on the Hoof!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Hi Carolyn;

I finally got a chance to look at the recipe. If you have Cure #1 (aka InstaCure #1; Prague Powder #1; pink salt), another choice you have is to eliminate the TQ, add 1 teaspoon of Cure #1, and leave the salt in the recipe. The 2 tablespoons of salt seams a little high, but I would leave it as is for the first batch. Generally I use 2 tablespoons of Morton's Kosher salt for 5 pounds in my sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caribou

Thanks for checking that out HS.
I just got my order of pink salt yesterday from Butcher-Packer (along with 10 pounds of Hi Temp Cheese!!) and I will try it without the MTQ next time around.
I appreciate you giving me some concrete amounts to work with so I won't have to worry if it has enough cure or not.
Carolyn