whole duck

Started by smokey bonz, January 08, 2005, 12:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokey bonz

[:D] Hellow fellow SMOKERS,. I was wondering if anybody has tried smoking a whole duck?. I checked other postings, but could not find any info. If anybody has any comments, that would be very helpful[;)]

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by smokey bonz</i>
<br />[:D] Hellow fellow SMOKERS,. I was wondering if anybody has tried smoking a whole duck?. I checked other postings, but could not find any info. If anybody has any comments, that would be very helpful[;)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Bonz,

I cold smoked three ducks for Thanksgiving. I smoked them with Hickory for 4 hours with out the BS heat bulb on. I then removed them and double wrapped in foil. Thanksgiving Day, I put them on the Weber gas grill on MOM. I left them there for 3-4 hours (don't remember for sure) Took them off let them set and the meat fell off the bone. They were awesome!! I cook them this way because of the huge amount of fat that comes off this type of bird. After taking the ducks out of the foil, I simply throw the fat remains away. I always do duck for Thanksgiving plus fryed Turkey, regular Turkey with stuffing and Ham or Prime Rib. So cooking the ducks this way saves me time. Hope this helps.

BigRED

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Bonz,

I cold smoked three ducks for Thanksgiving. I smoked them with Hickory for 4 hours with out the BS heat bulb on. I then removed them and double wrapped in foil. Thanksgiving Day, I put them on the Weber gas grill on MOM. I left them there for 3-4 hours (don't remember for sure) Took them off let them set and the meat fell off the bone. They were awesome!! I cook them this way because of the huge amount of fat that comes off this type of bird. After taking the ducks out of the foil, I simply throw the fat remains away. I always do duck for Thanksgiving plus fryed Turkey, regular Turkey with stuffing and Ham or Prime Rib. So cooking the ducks this way saves me time. Hope this helps.

BigRED<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Man, that sounds scrumptious, Ron.  Think I'll pretend it's Thanksgiving next weekend . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

I hot smoked a domestic duck in October. I marinated it overnight. I ate some of the thigh meat, and didn't like it, because of the red wine taste. I gave it to my brother and sister-in-law. They never had duck before, but they loved it!

Marinade:
1/2 C. Soy Sauce
2 T. Brown Sugar
1 Onion (medium size), chopped
1/2 C Pinot Noir, or other dry red wine
1 T. Fresh ginger root, grated
2 Cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
2 Bay leaves broken up.

Mixed all of the above ingredients. Place duck in a plastic bag, and pour the marinade over it. Place in the refrigerator, and marinate overnight turning several times to ensure that the duck evenly marinates. (If you don't use the red wine, use another acid based liquid, such as citrus juice. The acid helps break down the fat.)

I removed the duck from the marinade, and let it air dry for several hours in the refrigerator; prior to putting it in the smoker. I then carefully pierced the breast skin in several places deep enough to get to the layer of fat, but being careful not to pierce the meat (I read somewhere that this allows more of the fat to escape). I smoked it at 210 degrees F, using 3 hours of apple smoke, until 165 degrees F, measured at the thickest part of the thigh. I can't recall the size of the duck or the total cooking time. The skin came out very leathery, and I discarded it. There was a lot of fat on the V-tray. For easier clean up I would recommend placing an oven-proof pan under the duck to catch the fat.

The marinade I used came from a "The Smoked-Foods Cookbook – How to Flavor, Cure, and Prepare Savory Meats, Game, Fish, Nuts, and Cheese"; by Lue & Ed Park. I'm not recommending this book, but it does contain a lot of basic information (216 pages). For its long title, it was not what I expected it to be. In this book, they also state that you can hot smoke the duck for about an hour, then finish it using your favorite recipe, but reduce the cooking time by 20% (doesn't seem like enough time to get a good smoke flavor).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigRed

I think I am with Hab. I would rather keep my red wine for sipping and do the ducks regularly. Beleive it or not, we love the orange sause that comes with the duck. At my age I tend to keep things simple.

BigRED

smokey bonz

[;)] Thank you all for replying to my post. All the info is very helpful!!![:D]

Chez Bubba

http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

birdboy

Actually sounds pretty good Habanero, I have a couple of D-0s in the freezer I'll try that on.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by birdboy</i>
<br />Actually sounds pretty good Habanero, I have a couple of D-0s in the freezer I'll try that on.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I will probably do another one, but use orange juice instead of the red wine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)