First time with pork butt...

Started by westcoastgal, January 08, 2005, 01:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoastgal

Hey folks,

Well, I finally got my smokeroom almost done, just need to install the exhaust fan....but couldn't wait!!! I'm smoking 2 butts right now, about 5# each, did one in a Memphis dry rub and the other in a basic brine, used cherrywood (taste and compare!!!) Have had the temp at 205 or thereabouts since 8 am,  meat therm reads 150 F.  Am I going to be eating at midnight?? Roasts both have a VERY dark brown, almost black bark to them, I'm trusting they'll turn out juicy (lots o' fat on em), and will plop them in a cooler when I'm done.  They sure smell good....piggy piggy piggy [^]

Any words of wisdom, or am I just getting a little impatient?! (True to form, I might add) [;)]

Hope you all had a great holiday, it's snowing here right now, in Vancouver BC, only a few inches on the ground but the whole city seems to think that this is a REAL winter. Jeez...

Happy Smoking,
Theresa

nsxbill

Take them out at internal temp of 190°.  You have been peeking if you know what they look like.  Try to avoid that, be patient....all good things come to those that wait.  It won't be dinner at 12 a.m., but a midnight snack!  They will look like burnt offerings, but taste delicious.  Let us know which you like the best.

Shred all of it and vacuum seal it in serving size packages and freeze.  When you are ready to warm-up, boil or microwave to temp you want to serve at.  Delicious the second third or fourth time around.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

westcoastgal

tsquared

That's what the actress said to the vicar![:)]

Cold Smoke

Hi West Coast Gal- you might want to stay up a while to enjoy the "fruits" of your labour. The 'Bark' on my butts have always looked dark- down Kirk- almost black but is well worth the wait. I'm staring to really enjoy the vinegar based sauces on butts. Not the norm for BBQ out here. Don't be impatient- the end result will be delicious!

Enjoy!!

Cold Smoke

westcoastgal

Well, they turned out not too bad for a first time. I cheated on one of them (the herd was getting restless....so was I!) and decided to finish cooking the marinade one in the oven. Man, was it good. Not pulled pork, but the flavour was awesome. I finished the dry rub one in the BS, then stuck him in the cooler for about 3 hours and into the fridge. Had some last night, and again tonight. The herd wants more smoke flavour, so I think that next time I'll either give it an extra hour or go with a more strongly flavoured smoke (hickory, maybe). The internal temp on the dry rub roast was at 190 when I pulled it out....should I have waited a little longer to get the pulled pork thing happening? Not sure which I like better; the marinade was juicier, but the rub had a little more flavour, I think...

Gotta get me a remote thermometer...

Thanks for the input, can't wait to try another!

Happy Smokin'
Theresa

Habanero Smoker

Glad you are enjoying the fruits of your labor. It's almost 2 AM in New York. I put two 6 pound butts, and a 8 pound brisket in at 1:00 AM. Hoping everything is done by at least 1 PM.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

WCG,

Concerning the smoke flavor.  To me he best "pork butt" wood is Pecan.  I would think that Cherry is a little mild with such a strong meat as pork.  BigSmoker told me this, put about a 1/4 cup apple juice in with the doubled wrapped foil when you FTC it.  Just some thought here.

My typical butt:
Dry rub the night before.
Let it stand at room temp for at least an hr. while you preheat.
4hrs of smoke.
Cook at 220 till 185.
FTC at least 2hrs....

If you are wanting pulled pork.  Pull it first before you stick in the fridge..

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...