Game Hens

Started by cowgirl, January 15, 2009, 09:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowgirl

I did these on my drum smoker. The added smoked sausage under the skin makes the birds so moist, I thought someone might be interested in trying this.

I brined the birds in a mixture of water, kosher salt, cracked black pepper, sugar, red pepper flakes, onions, garlic and bay leaves.

I sliced smoked sausage and placed it under the skin of the birds...

I rubbed the birds with butter and seasoned with cracked black pepper and kosher salt...

Into the drum smoker...I smoked at a temperature of 300 with a bit of apple wood and olive wood.

After about 1 1/2 hours, I added some twice baked potatoes...

The smoked game hen, smoked twice baked potato, hoppin' john, creamy cucumbers and salad...

The smoked sausage under the skin adds a lot of flavor and moisture. I use the sausage on spatchcocked turkeys too. :)

easyridinole

Holy Hannah that looks good!!
Beautiful pictures! I bet that tastes as good as it looks!

Ole
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

cowgirl

Thanks Ole, they're pretty tasty!
:)

westexasmoker

That looks heavenly cowgirl!  I've got to try the sausage trick next time!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

cowgirl

Thank you Westexas! It works great on turkey too.  :)

Smoking Duck

That's one of my favorite pics on your weblog, cowgirl..........the one game hen that's hanging out like an 18 year old in a jacuzzi just kills me!  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

cowgirl

lol  Marc!   Here's the last batch I did, I called them "Hens in a Hottub".  ;D
I think I need to stop playing with my food.  :-[

pensrock

Looks amazing cowgirl. Only one problem, that should be enough for me, whats everyone else going to eat?  ;) ;D

Smoking Duck

A girl after my own heart.......funning and cooking.......it doesn't get any better than that!  I wonder how I could photoshop some pics of forum members on to those hens?  Now, that would be funny!  Looking real good there Cowgirl!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 15, 2009, 01:12:26 PM
A girl after my own heart.......funning and cooking.......it doesn't get any better than that!  I wonder how I could photoshop some pics of forum members on to those hens?  Now, that would be funny!  Looking real good there Cowgirl!

Duck when LQ and Deb see that comment your gonna look like a deer crossing sign after gun season. Swiss cheese my friend Swiss cheese. I'd be willing to bet you'll be smoked as well.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoking Duck

Awwwwww, shucks, 10.5.  There's plenty of room for all the great gals in my life  ;D  LQ, Deb, Mrs. Seemore, Caribou and KY's wife Jan all know they're special........I play no favorites.  But, you gotta admit, the hens in the tub is frigging funny  ;D

pensrock

::) quietly drinking at a distance......  ::)

(in sparkys absence)

smokeitall

I think I am in love....with 6 smoked hens :P

westexasmoker

Quote from: smokeitall on January 15, 2009, 06:07:56 PM
I think I am in love....with 6 smoked hens :P

And Joe Walsh and the Eagles come in 'Pretty maids all in a row'  I so concur!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

Quote from: pensrock on January 15, 2009, 05:27:37 PM
::) quietly drinking at a distance......  ::)

(in sparkys absence)

I wish you'd have done that BEFORE the pic of you in a bacon bra  ;D