Eagle picture

Started by okeejohn, January 15, 2009, 12:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Awesome pic!  Man, I'm envious of you guys.  My degree is in wildlife biology............I never get to see as much as I would like.

Keep the pics coming........this is my idea of crack cocaine!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caribou

Hey SD! Since you have the degree in wildlife biology, maybe you can help us identify this woodpecker we saw sitting up in one of our trees. ;) :D

Thanks!
Carolyn

Smoking Duck

(In my best Cliff Clavin impression):  You see, what you've got there is your lesser pileated woodgoose.  It's a very rare breed indeed.  It doesn't last very long in the wild tough as they still haven't evolved enough so that their bills are still rounded and thus cannot put holes in the wood to get the tasty treats they desire.  They will do a heck of a job scraping the bark off of the tree though.   ;D

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

deb415611

Here is one for you SD.  This was our backyard in NH, about 6 years ago. 

Smoking Duck

Great pics, Deb.  We don't get to see many of those out our way.  Occasionally, I'll see one while bowhunting but with the loss of pheasant and rabbit habitat in these parts, those critter seem to have thinned out as well.  Ironically, I've seen more coyotes in these parts than I have fox.  Great pics of the little ones as well.

SD

Gizmo

Quote from: Caribou on January 18, 2009, 03:16:56 PM
Hey SD! Since you have the degree in wildlife biology, maybe you can help us identify this woodpecker we saw sitting up in one of our trees. ;) :D

Thanks!
Carolyn

Those are one of my favorite woodpeckers.  A rare sight indeed.  I didn't know woodpeckers could climb trees.   If that bracket had a seat on it, I'd think it was the season opener on human.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

The only thing it's missing is a little jewelry on his legs and neck  ;D

stillsmoking

Hey Duck, didn't know you were an ologist.  Tell you what move on up and go to work for Uncle Sam up here, I will put you and your family up in my basement (fully equipped with fridge, freezer, grinder, sinks, ovens, stoves, crab cookers, you name it.  All I ask is that you bring that custom smoker with you all!  Will supply the eagles and what not, you take the pictures.

Smoking Duck

SS,

That's a great offer!  I have a degree in wildlife biology and another in natural resources.  I've never worled as a biologist though.  When I graduated from college (wow, 20 years ago now), I tried to get on with the PA Game Commission but it was very political and I had no connections plus, I wanted to follow in my forefathers tradition, so joined the military.  Then when I got out, went to work in pharmaceuticals.  Would love to get into the wildlife biology field but I'm afraid it's passed me by.  So, now, I live vicariously through all you guys with your great pics!  I still may take you up on your offer though  ;D

SD

Caribou

Hey SD...I mean Cliff! ;)
You did so well identifying the woodpecker, thank you!
Now I saw this in my front yard....could this be a coyote??

Carolyn

Smoking Duck

Well, Carolyn, I suppose with enough moonshine, it most certainly could be.  But, it looks to me to be about 850 pounds of sweet meat!

You know, I should start my own online animal identification service.......I'm 2 for 2 right now  ;D

Remind me to tell you of my bowhunting moose story sometime.......it was pretty funny and pretty scary at the same time.

SD

Caribou

Tell us your moose story! Please.....
I am a bit of a moose-a-phobe myself.
I am more worried about moose than any other animal when I am out stomping the woods around here.  I had an angry cow moose try to get up close and person with me when I was out morel hunting on our place a few years back...I was never so scared in my life!  I'll never forget the sounds she was making either!
Carolyn

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Caribou on January 18, 2009, 07:33:12 PM
Tell us your moose story! Please.....
I am a bit of a moose-a-phobe myself.
I am more worried about moose than any other animal when I am out stomping the woods around here.  I had an angry cow moose try to get up close and person with me when I was out morel hunting on our place a few years back...I was never so scared in my life!  I'll never forget the sounds she was making either!
Carolyn

I promise that I'll tell it tomorrow........I'm going to have to draw up some stuff on Powerpoint to give you an idea on it.  It's a story that I'll never forget and will probably tell it when I'm 90 and can't remember my name.

I understand the moose-phobia thing........when the rut is in season, I'm more worried about bull moose than I ever would be about a bear.

SD

aces-n-eights

Hey, we had one of those coyote things in our back yard, too!  I was wondering what that was...  ;D

US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8