Soy Flour vs Soy Protein Concentrate or powdered milk -- sausage pics added

Started by drano, January 15, 2009, 05:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drano

Need some help on binders, please.
Is soy flower and soy protein concentrate the same thing? 
I'm making a batch of smoked sausage Friday.  I went to the local grocery store, and picked up whole grain soy flour which says it is 35% protein.  Then I got home and re-read Rytek Kutas's book on binders, and realized he calls for soy protein concentrate.
Should I use the whole grain soy flower?  Or will it add an off taste to the sausage?

Or is there a brand of dry milk that has the consistency of corn starch like the ones sausage suppliers sell?  Or does the Carnation brand at the local store work just fine? 

Like I said, I plan to grind/stuff this Friday, then smoke it Saturday, so if I can use a grocery store product, I'm still on track.  If you recommend something I need to mail order, I'm delayed, and the meat I picked up today will go into the freezer.

Thanks in advance.
drano

pensrock

NePaSmoKer

soy flour is a different grind, soy protein is fine and is what i use. also carnation non fat dry milk is good.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

The two are different. Soy Protein Concentrate has most of the carbohydrates removed, the flour does not. Though I would think for sausage they should be interchangeable, I would not want to chance it on a batch of my sausage.

As for the powdered milk, I read on this forum sometime back that one member uses a food processor or blender to make his Carnation non-fat powder milk as fine as the commercial type. If you want to go through that extra step, but from what Pens, and NePa is stating, it's not necessary.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

I'm with Pens and Nepas The box of Carnation NFD Milk off the shelf works fine for me.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Father Tom

8)  I will  agree with Pens, Nepas and 10.5 that both of these items work perfectlly in sausage making. Generally speaking, you will never taste the difference.  Take pictures and let us know how the sausage comes out.  What type of sausage are you making??

Tom

drano

Thanks everyone for the fast responses.
The grocery store didn't have Carnation, but had S a n a l a c brand (had to add spaces to make the name display correctly  ???) premium non fat dry milk.
I was pleasantly surprized when I opened it to see a very fine powder.  At $7 for 32 oz, I think I got a good deal. 
I made two 5 lb batches, using 1/2 pork blade steak (butt) and 1/2 beef round. 
Both were ring bologna, one from Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Tytek Kutas, and another is on the 'net, here:  http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Ring%20Bologna-Lykens%20Valley%20.pdf
They are ground, mixed, stuffed and in the fridge now (yep, I cut out of work early today ;D).  I'll smoke them Sat. afternoon.  Should have pics for Father Tom up by Sunday nite. 
Thanks again everyone. 
get smokin
drano

drano

Father Tom and everyone,

Smoked Sausage turned out great.  Seems like the powdered milk did its job as everyone here said it would. 
I stuffed it into 30mm collagen casings because thats what I had on hand.  Next time I mailorder, I'll get some bigger casings.  I could have stuffed them a little fuller, but I busted the casing once, and got a little to carefull after that. 
Now I need to decide whats next.  Maybe smoked kielbasa.
Here's a couple pics.
Thanks for the advise above to help me get this smoke complete. 
get smokin
drano

NePaSmoKer

They look awsome.  Nice job.

making snack stix is one of my fav.

nepas

Tenpoint5

Looks great Drano.

I'm with you Nepas. I like making recipes into snack stix as well.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!