fat replacer

Started by Up In Smoke, January 16, 2009, 04:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Up In Smoke

i am just wondering about fat replacer.
what it is? and where to buy other than order online?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

JDNC

Smokinrookie,

I have some on my table but have not tried it.  What I would like to know is... if used do you still use the powdered mix or soy protein for a binder?  To answer your question, I don't know where to get it. I ordered mine from the Sausage Maker.

JD

NePaSmoKer

I wouldnt use both at the same time. Say if your going to make Thuringer you would use 1 cup of binder 86 OR 2 cups of powdered non fat dry milk.

Flavor Binder 86 is high in protein. Reduces shrinkage while binding meat and fat together. Formulated from Hydrolyzed Milk Products and Lactose Whey. 

Fat Substitute simulates fat's creamy texture. Used in ground meat, meat loaf, fresh and smoked sausage.

nepas

JDNC

NePaSmoker,

I'm somewhat confused...do you mean that if using the fat substitute for fat,  that the powdered milk or soy protein is not needed as a binder? 

JD

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: JDNC on January 17, 2009, 06:15:02 PM
NePaSmoker,

I'm somewhat confused...do you mean that if using the fat substitute for fat,  that the powdered milk or soy protein is not needed as a binder? 

JD

JD

You can use the fat substitute and still use the binder you like.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

I'm working on a turkey sausage that I don't have to use the skin or fat, or use pork fat. I was ready to order some fat replacer from Sausage Maker when I happen to come across a substitute in Rytek's book.

If you have concentrated soy protein powder; for 10 pounds of lean meat you can use 1 pint of water (or other liquid), and 5 ounces of Soy protein powder.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)