Apple Sausage

Started by NePaSmoKer, January 17, 2009, 12:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

This recipe is going to be my next make.

Its for 6 lbs

You will need the following.

2 1/2 lbs of lean meat (pork or beef)
2 1/2 lbs of pork butt
16 oz of granny smith apples, peeled, diced
1 1/3 T salt
1 1/2 T course black pepper
1 1/3 T coriander
2 T garlic granules (granulated garlic)
2 T paprika
2 T dextrose powder
3 T fresh chopped parsley
1 T cinnamon
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup non fat dry milk
33/36 mm sheep or hog casings (opt)

1. Grind meat throgh med plate 1 time.
2. In a large bowl or meat tub combine all the ingredients, mix thoroughly for about 5 mins. Mix well until completly combined.
3. Stuff all or half into casing twisting into 4/6" links. This can be made into patties too if you dont want to stuff.

Cook , bake, fry or broil.

Sauasge that is not eaten within 4 days can be double wrapped and frozen for 6 months.

Note: This is not smoked.

nepas

JDNC

I'm interested how it turns out. I too would like to try this recipe!

JD

drano

NePaSmoKer
When I lived in Omaha, I went to an apple orchard to pick some apples.  They had brats w/ apple & cinnamon mixed in it.  Of course I took a couple packs home.
Man, was it good.  The cinnamon really added a nice flavor.
Please let us know how they turn out
get smokin
drano

La Quinta

So NePas....I assume those apples should be really finely diced? Or do you really want them in a, say "normal dice" as they will lose a lot of H2O in cooking?

NePaSmoKer

LQ

I think i am going with fine diced. I am waiting on a new stuffer to come in before i make this  ;D

How are you and hubby doing. We really enjoyed the smokeout.

nepas

Gizmo

A new Stuffer, did you wear out the old ones?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

carnie1

Looks good, My friend out in Lancaster county was looking for a apple sausage recipe, I'll send him this one. A new stuffer, Hmmmmm, let me guess from Big C ?

smokeitall

Another one for the to do list.....I better quit my job   ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Gizmo on January 18, 2009, 10:34:08 AM
A new Stuffer, did you wear out the old ones?

:D

Just wanted a smaller one so i ordered a 5lb.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: carnie1 on January 18, 2009, 11:21:28 AM
Looks good, My friend out in Lancaster county was looking for a apple sausage recipe, I'll send him this one. A new stuffer, Hmmmmm, let me guess from Big C ?

Yeah carnie is sounds pretty good. I didnt get the new stuffer from the big C  :-\ they didnt have a 5 lb one.

nepas

La Quinta

Hey Nepas...we are doing great...truly enjoyed having you and your son here...

I'm gonna ask a maybe stupid question....but if you want the apple flavor and maybe not a "big" texture...could you grind half of the apple with the meat and fine dice the other half and mix it in after grinding? Seems like you could get the essence of the apple ground...and the texture in the mix??? Just thinkin out loud...????

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on January 18, 2009, 07:53:49 PM
Hey Nepas...we are doing great...truly enjoyed having you and your son here...

I'm gonna ask a maybe stupid question....but if you want the apple flavor and maybe not a "big" texture...could you grind half of the apple with the meat and fine dice the other half and mix it in after grinding? Seems like you could get the essence of the apple ground...and the texture in the mix??? Just thinkin out loud...????

Yeah you could do that, just cut back on some of the water.

nepas

La Quinta

Thanks for the recipe....have friends out this weekend...may show the recipe to them and make it together. (They are foodies)...this entire "smoking thing" is amazing to them...they tend to go Italian and French....but they are smoking sponges they want to learn everything.....I see a Bradley in their future....  :)