Maple sausage recipe

Started by Caribou, January 18, 2009, 06:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

My friend is always talking about this Huckleberry Elk sausage she buys in Boise.
http://www.blackcanyonelk.com/catalog/item/3133491/2668527.htm
I'd like to try something similar in the future. It seems to me a good starting point would be a fresh maple sausage recipe and adding the huckleberries.
These are sort of a western wild blueberry that is a little more tart and way more favorful than a regular blueberry.  They are a big deal up here in Northern Idaho!
I'd love some maple sausage recipes, esp. for elk or venison if possible, but any recipes will be appreciated.
also, I know Hi Mountain makes a fresh maple sausage kit, too.  Anyone try that before?
Thanks in advance,
Carolyn

unclebuck

Use your own recipe, and substitute maple sugar for the dextrose or sugar that the recipe calls for.  Be sure that it is the true maple sugar, NOT maple flavoured sugar.  It makes my breakfast sausage something that Johnsville would kill for!!!
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Caribou on January 18, 2009, 06:04:46 AM
My friend is always talking about this Huckleberry Elk sausage she buys in Boise.
http://www.blackcanyonelk.com/catalog/item/3133491/2668527.htm
I'd like to try something similar in the future. It seems to me a good starting point would be a fresh maple sausage recipe and adding the huckleberries.
These are sort of a western wild blueberry that is a little more tart and way more favorful than a regular blueberry.  They are a big deal up here in Northern Idaho!
I'd love some maple sausage recipes, esp. for elk or venison if possible, but any recipes will be appreciated.
also, I know Hi Mountain makes a fresh maple sausage kit, too.  Anyone try that before?
Thanks in advance,
Carolyn

Carolyn

Here is one i use.

3 lbs venison
2 lbs smoked bacon. cooked crisp, crumbled
1 lb pork butt
1 T salt. (if bacon is real salty dont use the 1 T)
4 T maple syrup. Try to use real vermont maple. More or less to taste
1 T sage
1 cup blueberrys
1 T black pepper
1 T garlic powder
1 t coriander
1 t ground mustard seed
1 t marjoram
1/2 cup ice water
33-36mm hog casing  (opt)

1. Grind venison, bacon, pork butt and berrys (opt) through med plate 1 time.
2. Combine with the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
3. Stuff into casing, twist into 4" links or make into pattys.

This i dont smoke because of the berrys. You could add some liq smoke if you wish. Cook, fry or bake. Store in fridge around 4 days or double wrap and freeze for 6 months.

Hope this helps you out.

nepas

Caribou

Thanks!
Nepa, I just replied to your message without checking out the forum!
That looks really good!
Also, UncleBuck thanks for the recommendation on using maple sugar, too!
Carolyn