Shold I go Guru?

Started by BigRed, January 08, 2005, 06:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRed

Hab, since you have made many comments and I think you have the regular system of guru and raptor I will ask. I am leaning strongly to get the system can't swing the $600 system. So I was looking for an opinion on how the initial sytem worked for you and things I should be aware of. Please anyone else PLEASE chime in on your experiences.  Does this completely replace the Maverick dual probe? Thanks in advance!!

BigRed

BigRED

car54

I feel the Guru does an excellent job of controlling the temperature. At 4:00 AM I put 32 lbs of butt in the Bradley, left for work and returned at 12:00. I did not have to worry about the temp at all. With out the Guru I would not have been able to leave because I would have had to stay to adjust the temp. A strong vote for the Guru.

Brad

nsxbill

The Competitor allows you to set both of the temps, the cabinet, or pit temp and the food or meat temp.  It is not remote.  When I had the Competitor, it worked great.  I kept the Maverick running concurrently so could tell how things were doing remotely.  

The Procom4 does the same, except with bells and whistles out the door.  It's digital readout is very user friendly, you can monitor from afar.  It is like comparing the VW and a Porsche.  Both quite dependable, but it does a lot more things better, and the development costs of it have to be paid for.  

Is it worth it?  I think so, but I was pretty happy with the Competitor until I saw the Procom4.  I wanted it, it did everything I wanted it to do, and I got offered a great deal.  I can only equate the time I drove into an Acura dealer in 1991 in my wife's Porsche Carrera Cabriolet....she was in Florida.  She stuck me with the darn thing when she took over my little GMC Syclone because the Porsche was hard to drive.

I saw a black Acura NSX, took a test drive and drove home in a new car.  I have had the Acura since then.  It has 225,000 miles on it, and it still with blow the doors off almost anything on the road.  Was the boss happy with my decision?  Heck no!  I have never regretted the trade.  Did it cost a lot?  Yes!  But if the Competitor will do what you want it to do, it is the one for you.

Truly, it is a darn fine controller.  I would still have it and would be using it regularly if I didn't get the Procom4 Raptor combo.  Both of the units will work on other pits.  I fully intend to buy the knock-down Caldera Shotgun Fred sells on his website...he is The BBQ Guru .  

Like I said before the extra costs will be forgotten with one use.  If not in the budget, get the Competitor.  Great control and worth the price!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

As Car54 says the Raptor/Guru does an excellent job in keeping the cabinet and meat temperature at your settings. You don't have to worry about what is going on, you can concentrate and do other things. Dials make it very easy to set the meat and temperature range, and/or change them at any time. Alarms will alert you when any of the temps. are out of range. Though the Raptor/Guru is not a remote unit, they suggest using a baby monitor if you are out of hearing range. I love it and feel you won't be disappointed. That being said and you have read all my previous positive posts, these are the things you should be aware of.

Cons: Once you set your temperatures by the dials, there are no gauges or read outs to tell you what the actual temperature is. For the meat temperature there are LEDs that will let you know when you are more than 40 degrees less then your set range, then it goes in 5 degree increments form -40 to +5(5 degrees over your meat temperature), and of course 0 degrees when the desired temp. is reached. For the cabinet the LEDs let you know what temperature range the cabinet is in, and those lights run in 25 degree increments. I don't feel this is important, because the Raptor/Guru is very accurate in maintaining the cabinet temperature, and even more precise with the meat temperature. My personal gripe is that the wires for the temperature probes are too short for the BS, and lack of documentation that comes with it. Just refer to Bill's post on how to set it up.

Would I like the have the Procom4, of course, but that may be for another time? The Raptor/Guru exceeds my current needs.

I used my Maverick the first couple of times, because I was not comfortable not knowing the exact temperature. Once I found the Raptor/Guru to be accurate, I don't use the Maverick that often with the smoker. If I do use the Maverick and Raptor/Guru together, it is to monitor the temperature of different meats. I was thinking about buying another meat probe for the Maverick. I found out that the meat probe also works when you plug it into the smoker outlet of your Maverick. So this will give my Maverick the ability to monitor two meat temperatures (instead of the smoker and meat). This comes in handy when smoking different cuts of meat at the same time; for example chicken parts that should be cooked to different meat temps.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigRed

Thanks Hab!!

I am ready to buy!! Appreciate everyone's help!! I will let you know what "thumbs" can do in hooking it up!

BigRED

RhinoDoc

I ordered a Raptor/ProComm earlier this week and hope to have it next week. Today was a perfect example of why I wanted one: one daughter had a basketball game at 1:30, the other at 5:30. With travel to and from the gyms, I decided to start smoking 2 chickens and some chuckwagon beans just before the first game in order to eat it after the second game. I fired up the Bradley about an hour ahead of time to stabilize the temperature so I would feel confident leaving it for a couple of hours. Put the chickens in, left came back, temp was still a bit low. Raised it, checked it before the second game, it was high (about 250), lowered it a tad, went to the second game. In the meantime, the ambient temperature dropped about 20 degrees, and I came home to find the smoker at about 150 degrees. Took the chickens out and put them in the oven to finish and they were still perfect, but I didn't like the temperature swings.

By the way, I made a beer can chicken (very good) and the goat cheese/pesto/basil chicken in the S&S cookbook - outta this world! If you haven't tried it, you must. The smell alone was worth it - the smoked basil permeated the house and was wonderful. My youngest daughter, who chose beer can chicken on the grill for her birthday meal (prior to the Bradley) went head over heels for the new chicken. I guess I will use the second best beer can chicken for the white chili posted earlier. Life is so tough sometimes.[:D]

Oldman

Hey all I don't care to get into a flame war here, but I'm quite frankly worry that someone is going to be looking for a smoker comes across one of these threads and does the math and says...I cannot afford 350.00 for a smoker and 600.00 addon item to control it. This is how it comes across.

This is not a true representation of the Bradley. Using the Bradley is not rocket science, and it does not take a long time to figure out how to use it.

I fully understand how this unit frees up some time. However, when I read another statement like this I have to finally step to the pump and say Whoa!!!
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">it was high (about 250), lowered it a tad, went to the second game. In the meantime, the ambient temperature dropped about 20 degrees, and I came home to find the smoker at about 150 degrees.  <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> That tade is a 80 degress drop with ambient air and frankly I'm having a hard time with this statement. It totally says the Bradley is unpredicable. Personally I call it operator's lack of understand of the Bradley. This is not the first time I've read statements in this gene.

I have a few questions I hope someone will answer. What happens to the newbie smoker who never learned how to smoke without this unit, and when it is out of warrenty it takes a dump? Do they purchase another one for another 600.00? Or do they move on to a different smoker? And then learn to how to smoke foods? Afterwards trash talking the Bradley?

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with using one of these units, but smoking should include understanding the smoker. There is nothing that I and other members, here,  can not do that those who use this unit can do. The last sauage I did after one hour I stopped checking the Bradley. If anything has to be on the money it is sauage making. Using the Bradley is like baking a ham. You know how many hours per pound. The Bradley is an oven that smokes. That is all. Simple. Either a person can bake or they can't. If a person can't or will not take the time to learn how to bake then this unit is for them.

As I said I don't want a flame war here, but some of the statements I've seen on these types of threads puts the Bradley in a bad light. This is not fair to the Bradley unit.
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Cold Smoke

Cold Smoke

BINGO!!! I'm sure that these tools are worth their weight in pastrami-but this is supposed to be fun, man....If you got no time~~~~ go Raptor- if you have time to spare go to the fridge and get a frosty and enjoy the day!!

This is the small print-- Like Olds says - not intended to flame or make fire - we're all a bunch of Happy -go -smokin' -kind of adventurers.

Where there's smoke there's.....a full belly.

Cold Smoke

Cold Smoke

Chez Bubba

I agree to a point. I choose not to buy a Raptor because once I bought my Bradley, it was the easiest thing since sliced bread. I don't mind spending the 2 or 3 cooks it takes to learn how to make it predictable & repeatable.

Bill likes his Raptor & I would agree that it is a product that only makes the Bradley better. But you do not need one in order to cook excellent food effortlessly. If a newbie buys a unit expecting to cook perfect food with little or no effort & research, they are a dumbass. You can't buy a microwave for the first time and expect the results to be perfect the first time out without reading the directions.

Olds, I don't take this as Bradley-bashing, simply the uninformed trying to request answers to their problems.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Habanero Smoker

I feel that most of today's consumers are extremely sophisticated, do their homework before making a major purchase such as the BS, and understand that the Raptor/Guru is an accessory, and not a necessity. From my point of view this would encourage me to purchase a BS, knowing that there were accessories like this that I could add on if I wanted to. Also this type of accessory may encourage those who do not have time, to venture into smoking.

Potential smokers, rookies, novice and veteran smokers should know what is available to them, and how these add-ons perform, so they can make an informed decision. The Raptor/Guru is not for everyone, but if it fits into your lifestyle, and budget - it makes the BS perform better, with less "labor". I would compare it to buying a new car. You buy the basic model that works perfectly well, but you have the ability add on a variety of options.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Chez Bubba

HS,

Great analogy! You said it better than I could.[:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

Well said HS.  I love my Bradley.  

I love it even more by being able to control it better, especially from afar.  I consider the BS a continual source of pleasure and enjoyment.  The ability to enhance that experience with some bling bling like a Stainless Steel facade, or a rolling cart, and the subject of this post, the guru, are all on the plus side for me.

A Historical perspective.   The raptor came to being with an inquiry by me to TheBBQGuru to make something for us electric smokers.  I wanted more than a converted oven thermostat to dial in the temp.  Approaching this temperature control issue is important to me because I am a lazy person.  

You know that lazy people are always looking for an easier way of doing things!  The Guru far surpasssed any of my expectations for control, but just wasn't yet able to control an electric smoker.  

My interest in controlling the temp all came originally from a post by MSiler who had rigged up an oven thermostat to control temps.  Then I think it was Jeff who talked about having the Competitor and posted up the website address.  

It tweaked my interest as an alternative to control the smoker temps.  Fred, the owner of the company and I had a couple of long bi-coastal phone conversations and he said he thought he could build an accessory to plug into the fan side of the controller and actually got pretty excited about the prospect of a new customer base and that he even had a little stainless box to mount the controller.  The Raptor was born.

Fred tried it out first on his Meco smoker, and then he sent it to me to try on the BS.  I loved it, and he started building them.  The Procom4 came later.  I bought it when it was first offered.  Ultimately, I could see Bradley integrating something like this to their unit as a stock item.

The focus now returns to the smoker.  We all approach the task with a desire to improve the end product,  "Burnt offerings" as opposed to tasty grub.  We do it with different rubs, brines, marinades and recipes generic to one task.... Great smoked food.  There are many paths to get to that end.  From my perspective... there would be a lot more "Burnt Offerings" without my Guru.

The accessories are available... what works for me might not be something that works for someone else, but we all have that one thing in common;  our interest in the Bradley Smoker.  Whether it be Black or Stainless, accessorized or plain; hovering over it like a purist, or drinking a beer by the pool and pushing buttons to control and monitor the smoker from afar.

Necessity is the mother of invention.  Look at Smokehouse Rob. He is now building racks to hang stuff from and to set the shelves on.  Chez is marketing Bubba pucks aside from all the other stuff he sells.  They do change the smoking experience for me, but the accessories arn't for everyone.  

For me it makes the smoking experience more enjoyable.  

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
"...temperature control issue is important to me because I am a lazy person."  

Bill
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm lazy too, but I prefer to use the term "less labor". [:D]

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BigRed

FELLOW SMOKERS!

Wow I really didn't mean to start a philisophical war  so to speak. My main reason for looking at the Guru/ raptor system is the continued issues I have with the slide control. I am about to put the third one in all replaced by Bradley. So I wanted to simply turn it up all the way and control with this system. Am I on the right track with this thinking?? This also would help me not peak into the BS casue I know things are going right.

BigRED