Superbowl Menu?

Started by Consiglieri, January 19, 2009, 06:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

The Killer series are good books, they group their recipes by regions. I got the Killer Chili cook book for Christmas with a kit to make chili. Now I got my eye on Killer Pies. All the recipes come form well known restaurants in different regions.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

I didn't know they did one for other foods........I really like the ribs book.......gotta imagine the chili and pies would be great as well.

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

The Killer Chili I'm still going studying. I've made three of their chili's so far and they were all good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

If you're looking for a good appetizer while awaiting a Steeler victory on Superbowl Sunday, I've got one that's extremely easy to do however, it requires smoking cheese.  If you plan on smoking some cheese, throw some string cheese (which is mozzarella) while doing the other cheeses.  After the appropriate resting period, cut the string cheese in half so that you have about 2-3" pieces.  Dip the cheese in flour. then in egg, then in breadcrumbs (I prefer the Panko Italian Style, but any wil do).  Be sure all of the cheese. especially the ends of the cheese are covered in crumbs.  While preparing the cheese, heat some oil (I use canola but any type will do) in a frying pan.  When the oil is really hot, simply place half of your cheese sticks in the pan.  Be sure to turn as soon as starting to turn brown (shouldn't take more than 1 minute per side) and then take out and repeat with remaining cheese sticks.  The smoked flavor adds a little to the average mozzarella sticks and are extremely easy to make and , IMO, better than you will buy in most restaurants.  The only way I think this would be better is if I could find the sticks that had pieces of jalapenos inside them.

SD

pensrock

SD, take a peno or hab if your feeling daring, split it in half, clean out the seeds and membrene. Then do the flour, egg, breading the same as the mozz sticks. Fry up and enjoy.

Smoking Duck

I'd do the peno with no problem.......the hab would put me in a coma but quick.  I will definitely have to try that.  Got some stored up for the SuperBowl.  You're gonna have to come out to Indiana and party with us Feb 1st.  I'm doing ribs, pulled pork, ABTs, mozz/peno sticks and all the cinnamon rolls you can eat.  Depending on how much is collected for the meal, I may even get to throw in a brisket.

pensrock

QuoteYou're gonna have to come out to Indiana and party with us Feb 1st.

I'd love to but as you can imagine there are tons of Steeler parties going on all around here. However I doubt many will have smoked goodies unless I bring them. It sounds like your party will be great, man all that food and the Steelers winning #6 what could be better?  :)

The breaded and fried penos are really good as is or dipped into ranch dressing, but they also go great on a pulled pork sammie. I'll keep checking for my doggie bag to arrive.  ;D ;D ;D

Smoking Duck

OK,  my menu so far (just a small gathering):

Hell-fire Brisket (that is the name of it and is not just what the Steelers will be bringing to the Cardinals)
Corky's Slaw (which will be renamed to Steel Curtain Slaw)
Smoked Bacon and Beans Baked beans (will be renamed Hines Ward beans as he smokes the Arizona D)
ABT's (will be renamed Big Bens)
Smoked Deep fried Mozzarella Sticks (renamed Troy Polamalu as he covers WRs like a good panko breading)
Dessert Ribs (molasses and spice grilled Bananas) These will be renamed Fast Willie Parker Bananas as they will be long gone quickly

Will also be doing some Maple Bourbon Turkey Jerky for pre and post game snacking.

Consiglieri

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 28, 2009, 01:10:49 PM
OK,  my menu so far (just a small gathering):

Hell-fire Brisket (that is the name of it and is not just what the Steelers will be bringing to the Cardinals)
Corky's Slaw (which will be renamed to Steel Curtain Slaw)
Smoked Bacon and Beans Baked beans (will be renamed Hines Ward beans as he smokes the Arizona D)
ABT's (will be renamed Big Bens)
Smoked Deep fried Mozzarella Sticks (renamed Troy Polamalu as he covers WRs like a good panko breading)
Dessert Ribs (molasses and spice grilled Bananas) These will be renamed Fast Willie Parker Bananas as they will be long gone quickly

Nice! I'm still doing the pastrami (cured Cardinal, smoked, steamed, then cut up).  Wife is letting others host the party this year so I won't be making all the stuff I wanted to.  So I'll set back with a sandwich and a cold one and let someone else do the driving. 
Consiglieri

deb415611

Very small gathering here.  I have belly bacon curing ready to smoke Friday or Saturday so we are having:

Sliders w carmelized onions, smoked cheese & bacon.  I'll make the rolls and they may contain cheese, maybe some bacon too
The fried chicken that Pens posted the other day. 
Coleslaw
Homemade french fries

the rest is up in the air

I have a drs appt tomorrow - I will not be running this menu past her ;D

Gizmo

I have the belly bacon going now as well.  Made the brine for the maple turkey jerky from Marinades-Tarentino.  Finished 10 lbs of peppered beef jerky Sunday night.
For the Super Bowl, still undecided.  Have 3 racks of ribs in the freezer I'll probably take out.  Will do a fire roasted habanero key lime pie (no bake recipe, but I haven't made it all up yet  ;D)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

nickld

Just pulled ten pounds of spareribs from the chest freezer for the weekend. Not sure exactly what the plan is yet but I'll most likely be using a recipe or two from the esteemed members of this great forum!   ;)

~Nick

Caneyscud

Found out years ago that this was the best time to go to popular restaurants where you would normally have to wait to get in.  Ain't nobody there sometimes.  For years there was this really good Irish restaurant down in the honky-tonk section of town.  Didn't go too often because of the 1 to 2 hour wait.  But on SB Sunday - we were usually the only ones there.  Usually got special treats like free swigs of premium single-malts from them just for being there.  So decision time - where to go?

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

westexasmoker

Looks like the plan is fajitas, beef and chicken...some drumsticks and thighs maybe some abts or some poppers (or both) tater skins, cheese sticks...and way to much adult beverage!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smokin Soon

I allways have smoked stuff in the freezer or fridge. A popular game day thing is to mix that last batch of sausage you have in the fridge because it was not enough to fill the stuffer. I am talking about smoked cooked sausage. Thaw and mix in some sharp Cheddar, smoked or not, some roasted dry onion, even if you think it has enough. Spoon on some of those little party rye things and pop in the oven. I have also
put a final sprinkle of fresh ground Parmesan with great results.