Opinions on a good, manual stuffer?

Started by Doctor Woody, January 20, 2009, 01:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor Woody

Does anyone have experience with this type of sausage stuffer?

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/tsm_the_sausage_maker_5_lb_sausage_stuffer_50510.html

I want something that works well and want to keep the price pretty inexpensive.  I have seen a few of these in the $140 - $150 price range.

I have made sausage before but found it a pain to stuff.  I was using an electric grinder with a sausage tube on it.  Not only did the meat mixture have a hard time coming out.  It turned it into a paste at the same time.

Been making beef "summer style" sausage without a casing for years, as you see in my Avatar.  But really would like to make a variety of stuffed.

Thanks for any input?

pensrock

Looks like a modern version of the one I have. Mine is very old and cast iron. I can't even guess how much sausage has gone through it. The pic is not my actual stuffer but it looks like it. I guess there is a company who now makes cast iron stuffers again. I bet I can put 15 pounds at a time into that sucker.

Habanero Smoker

I'm pretty sure I have that same stuffer; but I got mine from Gander Mt. I've never had a problem with mine. The plastic is a strong composite and it would take a lot to strip or break those gears. I've had to push some very dense and cold sausage through mine, and it went through with ease.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

I just bought a new 5lb stuffer. Has composite gears also SS frame, insides, crank, drive shaft with an aluminum bottom plate for mounting. I sold my water stuffer and old cast stuffer.

nepas

Doctor Woody

Thanks.

So it looks like I may be happy with this model then, from the sound of it.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Doctor Woody on January 20, 2009, 03:17:19 PM
Thanks.

So it looks like I may be happy with this model then, from the sound of it.

Like the one i just bought for $89

http://www.psseasoning.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=2264

nepas

pensrock

NEPAS, thats a pretty good price. What did they charge for shipping? How easy is it to clean?
Thanks, pens

NePaSmoKer

shipping was $18. works very good and cleans easy.  Actually my wife found this one cuz we buy pellets for the traeger from them sometimes.

nepas

sgaberdeen

The 5 lb stuffers are all pretty good for the job. The only thing I can add is that I believe the LEM 5 lb stuffer does have metal gears. I think Bass Pro shops carry them.

Best wishes,
                                                                                                                                      Gary

Doctor Woody

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 20, 2009, 03:19:43 PM
Like the one i just bought for $89

http://www.psseasoning.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=2264

nepas

Wow.  And for the stainless version too.  Thanks for the link!

BTW - I just bought some bisquettes from Yard&Pool yesterday.   8)

Doctor Woody

Too bad they are charging $30 freight to my zone, but it is still the best deal I have seen for this model.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Doctor Woody

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 20, 2009, 04:12:27 PM
Doc here's the Grizzly model that I have.
$69.95
Grizzly Stuffer

That looks like a winner too, and here I just bought the other one.  I guess that's the way it goes.

Now to get a good source for casings.  I used to use collagen, but never really liked it.

NePaSmoKer

Mr Walleye

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 20, 2009, 04:32:21 PM
:D  :D

this is too funny

nepas

Yup!

That usually happens to me Doc!  :D  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes