Opinions on a good, manual stuffer?

Started by Doctor Woody, January 20, 2009, 01:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor Woody

Usually, after deciding what I want, I do a pretty exhaustive search on line to find the best price.  This time I didn't.  So I get what I get.  That'll learn me.   :-[

NePaSmoKer

maybe if i search enough i can find one for 39  :D  :D  :D its a stuffer conspiracy i tell ya  :D

nepas

Doctor Woody

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 20, 2009, 05:00:08 PM
maybe if i search enough i can find one for 39  :D  :D  :D its a stuffer conspiracy i tell ya  :D

nepas

If I "fist" the meat into the casings, I can do it for free!!  Perhaps?   ;D

smokeitall

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 20, 2009, 04:12:27 PM
Doc here's the Grizzly model that I have.
$69.95
Grizzly Stuffer

Doc, I have the Grizzly and have never had a problem, you won't be disappointed.

Doctor Woody

Quote from: smokeitall on January 20, 2009, 05:51:28 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 20, 2009, 04:12:27 PM
Doc here's the Grizzly model that I have.
$69.95
Grizzly Stuffer

Doc, I have the Grizzly and have never had a problem, you won't be disappointed.

The one I ordered looks pretty identical.  I'm looking forward to it.

NePaSmoKer

I think the lower end 5 lb stuffers are made by the same company and different places have their logos put on em. Mine works pretty good and have not had any problems with it.

nepas

Doctor Woody

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 21, 2009, 09:12:41 AM
I think the lower end 5 lb stuffers are made by the same company and different places have their logos put on em. Mine works pretty good and have not had any problems with it.

nepas

I agree.  You're not going to have all those different brands names on a stuffer that is pretty much identical.

It's good to hear that it works well enough.

HCT

Just a few questions, I am completely ignorant about stuffers so please bear with me
Nepas, how come you went with the Grizzly rather than the Cabelas model? I know their models are pricey but are they any better?
Everybody, the stuffer looks like it comes pretty much ready to go, are there other parts, tools etc, that I'll need?
Thanks,
Mike

Just an add on, it's just me here so I'll be doing the stuffing pretty much for me and some tryouts and gifts for my kids.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Tenpoint5

HCT, Like Nepas said the 5lb stuffers are all about the same just the price is different depending on what name is on the box. I have the grizzly and its was ready to go right out of the box. after washing the lube off the O-ring and out of the cylinder. For just you the 5lb will be about right most batches are in the 5-10lb range anyhow. The only thing I would suggest is a tube of Food grade silicone lube. I put it on my O-ring after using and cleaning the stuffer. If for nothing more than keeping the O-ring from drying out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

You may want to get a couple of "C" clamps to hold your stuffer securely to the counter top. I just saw a site in which the stuffer was bolted to a thick rock maple cutting board, and that made it stable enough so that clamps were not needed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

QuoteYou may want to get a couple of "C" clamps to hold your stuffer securely to the counter top. I just saw a site in which the stuffer was bolted to a thick rock maple cutting board, and that made it stable enough so that clamps were not needed.

Habs, I even 'C' clamp my heavy cast iron stuffer down. It will move around if you don't.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pensrock on January 21, 2009, 02:35:04 PM
QuoteYou may want to get a couple of "C" clamps to hold your stuffer securely to the counter top. I just saw a site in which the stuffer was bolted to a thick rock maple cutting board, and that made it stable enough so that clamps were not needed.

Habs, I even 'C' clamp my heavy cast iron stuffer down. It will move around if you don't.

Thanks. You save me a bunch of money. I was thinking of buying a cutting board to mount the stuffer on.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

drano

HCT,
Decide how big of a stuffer you want/can afford.
The 5 lb stuffers obviously work well from all the above posts. 
I have a Cabelas 11 lb (and some days wish I had the 20 lb). 
I've been making 12.5 lb batches of brats or summer sausage, so I fill the stuffer twice.  Simple math says the 5 lb would be filled 3 times.
If you've got time, the 5 lb will work great.  If you've got money, the big ones take less time.   :)
One nice feature on the Cabelas is they have 2 speeds of gears.  One slow speed for stuffing, and a fast speed for rapidly moving the plunger up and down.  There are 2 spline shafts on the side for the handle to slide onto, one for fast and one for slow.  But it would still be a great stuffer w/o the fast gear. 

Whichever one you get, stuff the meat very soon after mixing it because the meat starts getting stiff once the spices/stuff is mixed in.  If you put it in the fridge for a couple hours and then try stuffing thru a 3/8" tube for snack sticks, your arm will be dead when you are done. 
I grind/mix at the same time, take about 2 minutes to put the grinder head in the sink, and start stuffing. 
drano

Father Tom

All you Guys are correct.  It just depends how much time you want to put into it.    "Drano",  My 5 # verticle dosen't have two speeds and yes i have to remove the cylinder to reload but thats when i can stop enjoy an adult beverage.  "All Work and No Play Makes Tom a Dull Boy"

Tom

Habanero Smoker

My 5 pound stuffer have a variable speed; depending on how fast I want to crank it. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.