Opinions on a good, manual stuffer?

Started by Doctor Woody, January 20, 2009, 01:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yooper Jim

Thanks for the links and opinions on vertical stuffers.  Have been looking to replace my old 5# pump handle type stuffer.  Looks to me like you could use it for a cheese press also.  Any thoughts?

deb415611

Quote from: Yooper Jim on January 25, 2009, 04:06:12 AM
Thanks for the links and opinions on vertical stuffers.  Have been looking to replace my old 5# pump handle type stuffer.  Looks to me like you could use it for a cheese press also.  Any thoughts?

I have been reading quite a bit at cheesemaking.com and one of the presses over there is a lever type press.  Maybe it would.  I bet you could send an email to them and they would know.  They do everything from supplies to workshops.  Here is the link to the page with the presses   http://www.cheesemaking.com/cheesepresses.html

HCT

Good link Deb, I just learned about the differences in the rennets.
Thanks
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Yooper Jim

Thanks .....  I'll check it out.  I know presses are costly.  Just trying to multi task the stuffer (justify it to my wife  ;D). 

deb415611

Quote from: Yooper Jim on January 25, 2009, 04:49:10 AM
Thanks .....  I'll check it out.  I know presses are costly.  Just trying to multi task the stuffer (justify it to my wife  ;D). 

Have you made cheese?  There is a mozzarella thread active this week. 

I was looking at making cheddar and trying to decide if my basement would be the correct temp for long enough and also trying to justify the cost of new equipment.....   I hadn't thought about using the stuffer as a cheese press.....  hmmm 

& sorry,  forgot to welcome you to the forum.  Glad you came out of lurkdom! 

Yooper Jim

Lurkdom ...... I like that.  Have only made soft cheese (like cottage cheese, but dry).  Like to try others though.  The basement (at least mine) will require some seasonal scheduling of projects.

carnie1

Quote from: deb415611 on January 25, 2009, 04:59:29 AM
Quote from: Yooper Jim on January 25, 2009, 04:49:10 AM

Have you made cheese?  There is a mozzarella thread active this week. 

I was looking at making cheddar and trying to decide if my basement would be the correct temp for long enough and also trying to justify the cost of new equipment.....   I hadn't thought about using the stuffer as a cheese press.....  hmmm 

& sorry,  forgot to welcome you to the forum.  Glad you came out of lurkdom! 
I have done a little cheese using my enterprise stuffer as a press, I found a small round cutting board that fit in the bottom for a flat base, I just drilled a few holes in it, hardest part was figuring out how to measure the weight, I kinda attached a fish weigh scale to measure. make sure when you line your mold with cheesecloth (don't use the kind from the grocery store) to dip in salt water or it will stick (Wonder how I know that) I'll try and get a pic up for you. also there are a few places with plans to build a press , some are pretty simple.http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese_5_gallons/Cheese_press/PRESS_SETUP_00.htm
http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/CheeseDownloads_files/HomemadeCheesePress.pdf
http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade_cheese_and_cider_press/

Maybe I should put this in The Homemade cheese thread too

deb415611

OliverB

did anybody have a chance to compare a couple of these 5lb stuffers side by side? The prices differ by almost $100 depending where you look, but the stuffers themselves look pretty much identical. Black or white or beige gears, but other than that it seems they are all made by the same manufacturer. But it's hard to tell from those small images.

I could not care less what label is on the thing, as long as it works well. I'm very tempted to get the Grizzly, best price for what looks like the same thing sausagemaker is selling (the later seems a bit higher in price for just about anything, from pink salt to electric grinders....)

Would love to hear from someone that had a chance to compare two or three of these side by side!

Oliver

HCT

I was going to order the Grizzly, $82.50 after shipping but I found the LEM for $140 shipping included. Decisions, decisions.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Doctor Woody

I ordered and received the 5 lb stainless stuffer from PS Seasoning and Spices.

I was impressed by how heavy it was.  I couldn't tell from the product pictures, but it's good and solid.  I have not used it yet.  Thinking of getting some fibrous casing and making a summer-style sausage.  There is no reason I would not be able to stuff a casing that large with the large stuffing tube on my new suffer, is there?

I think I need to get some hog ring pliers too.   8)

smokeitall

DW..Just put your biggest stuffing tube on their for summer sausage and it will fill up nicely.  It doesn't seem like it will by thinking of it but as soon as you do it you will see how easy it is.  I use hog ring pliers, some people use string.

Doctor Woody

Quote from: smokeitall on February 02, 2009, 06:51:33 AM
DW..Just put your biggest stuffing tube on their for summer sausage and it will fill up nicely.  It doesn't seem like it will by thinking of it but as soon as you do it you will see how easy it is.  I use hog ring pliers, some people use string.

Cool.  Seems like the hog rings would be easier than string to use.

Father Tom

Great stuffer.  Summer Sausage will be sooooooo much eaiser.  Use Hog Ring Pliers if you can.  Much easier.  I have an original dated somewhere back in the 20's or 30's and it still works great.  Good Luck.

Tom

Doctor Woody

Quote from: Father Tom on February 02, 2009, 01:05:33 PM
Great stuffer.  Summer Sausage will be sooooooo much eaiser.  Use Hog Ring Pliers if you can.  Much easier.  I have an original dated somewhere back in the 20's or 30's and it still works great.  Good Luck.

Tom

You were not the original owner of those hog ring pliers, where you?   :-X

I think I'll make summer sausage with jalapeƱos in the mix.