Opinions on a good, manual stuffer?

Started by Doctor Woody, January 20, 2009, 01:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor Woody

Now for making smoked summer sausage...  It should not hurt to put a meat probe through the skin of fibrous casing, should it?  I don't want to be messing around with an instant read probe.

NePaSmoKer

You can buy food grade lube for stuffers, grinders and slicers at Cabelas and other places like that.

I use the paste lube on the gears and seal, the spray on the slider on the slicer.

nepas

drano

Doctor Woody
When you think you are getting close to done, put your Maverick probe in the center of one of your summer sausages.
Yes, it will leave a hole in the casing, and a hollow channel where the probe was stuck in, but its no big deal. 
But I really like my Thermopen--still leaves a hole, but smaller, and reads in 3 seconds.
get smokin
drano

Smokin Soon

Dr Woody, If you get into making quite a bit of sausage you would enjoy the non-intrusive tip of the Thermapen. Yes a little pricey, but very precise.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html

Doctor Woody

Thanks for the tips!

One thing I am trying to avoid is having to open the smoker and check several times.  I imaging putting the Maverick in after the meat has cured will reduce the possibility of juice leaking out.  And I'm not too concerned about there being a small hole in one of the chubs.  I would eat that one first!

HCT

Thanks for the help guys. Murphy's Law seems to be my best friend so I just want to make sure I have my back covered. :)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"