Auber PID yes or no??

Started by okeejohn, January 21, 2009, 06:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okeejohn

I have a DBS6 tray and have read some posts on Auber PID. It sounds great but do I need it on a DBS?? What are the pros and cons? (so I can tell the wife)

Okeejohn ;) ;D

drano

Okeejohn
I have the original smoker, and got the Auber PID (programable model) last month. 
What you smoke will help you answer. 
If you do pork butt, ribs, chicken, brisket, the DBS should work very well for that. 
If you get into sausage, a PID is helpfull, but not required because it will keep the smoker temp +/- about 1 degree, allowing you to set your max temp and know it won't go above that. 
If your smoker gets too hot, the fat in the sausage will render (melt) and run out of the casing, making dry sausage that won't taste like you wanted.  I normally set my PID to 175 deg for sausage to get the meat up to 152 deg. 
I think the DBS controller allows the temps to swing +/- 5 degrees or so.  Getting cooler than your set temp will increase the cooking time.  (how much, I don't know)
Bottom line--PID w/ sausage allows you to set and maintain your desired max temp, and you won't render the fat out of the sausage, and you will hold that max temp accurately so you don't lengthen your cooking time with the smoker cooler than your set temp. 
Do some people here make sausage w/out a PID?  Yep, and I'm sure they will be here shortly to tell you they do just fine. 
I made summer sausage a couple years w/ a Love temp controller (basically an on/off thermostat similar to how the DBS works).  I made some real nice sausage.  But I like the PID even more.
If you make sausage and a PID fits your budget, go for it.  If you don't do sausage, take the Mrs out a few times--will be money well spent. 
drano

Austin

I too am wondering about the PID with the DBS6.  I will be smoking butts ribs and such, but am looking to also do sausage and maybe bacon.  Drano, any pics or how-to as to how you added the PID?  I haven't bought a DBS6 yet, but am toying with the idea of building something a little bigger or just going with the DBS6.
Houston Robbins

Stumps Clone
Homemade Offset Drum Smoker
Bradley Electric Smoker
Weber 22.5" Kettle
KCBS CBJ & TC
"Bacon is a gateway Meat"

josbocc

Hey All,

Bought my Auber PID about 3 months after I got my DBS6.  I noticed temp swings (from the Bradley digital readout) that were as extreme as 20 degrees higher, or lower than the unit was set for.  After doing some checking on the forum, I felt that the PID was a good investment.

I got mine directly from Auber, and set-up was a snap.  Have done ribs, canadian bacon, and ABT's thus far with absolutely no trouble, and temps within 2 - 3 degrees of what they're supposed to be.

IMHO, the Auber is the way to go.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Smokin Soon

I have a DBS4, and had great luck without a Auber for ribs, butts and chicken. Sausage and bacon is what made me get an Auber. For one thing, it eliminates tht silly 9 hour something cook time for a long cook like a ham or a load of butts. A lot of sausage calls for a low starting temp, then ramp up to a higher temp. The programable Auber will do that for you. Hope this helps.

Austin

Is this the PID you guys are using?

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4

Any chance you might have a pic or two of your setup?

Thanks
Houston Robbins

Stumps Clone
Homemade Offset Drum Smoker
Bradley Electric Smoker
Weber 22.5" Kettle
KCBS CBJ & TC
"Bacon is a gateway Meat"

thegozzzz

If you go to the plug-and-play option PID on that site it show pix of a typical hook-up. I use the programable unit.

Yooper Jim

Just my two cents.  Have the Auber PID and love it.  OBS kept me on the run when smoking sausage etc.  BTW the Pid works great with a crockpot for cheese making and pasteurizing your other concoctions.  Justifying the purchase with the wife was easier.  ;D

Yooper Jim

deb415611

Quote from: Yooper Jim on February 05, 2009, 03:03:52 AM
Just my two cents.  Have the Auber PID and love it.  OBS kept me on the run when smoking sausage etc.  BTW the Pid works great with a crockpot for cheese making and pasteurizing your other concoctions.  Justifying the purchase with the wife was easier.  ;D

Yooper Jim

Jim,

How does it work with the crockpot & the cheese?

Thanks,
Deb

Yooper Jim

Hi Deb
Just set the temp on the PID and plug in the crockpot.  My pot will hold any temp up to about 198 degrees to within a couple of degrees for as long as you want.  Good for holding milk for a period of time with minimum amount of stirring.  Also use to hold vinegar at 145 for 30 min to pasteurize.  Crockpot isn't big enough for big batch of milk though.  Thinking of a stock pot and hot plate next time.

Jim

deb415611

thegozzzz

Great for salmon. Mine serves a dual purpose for my OBS and my DBS6. Now, if I could figure out how to use it on my propane smoker.....

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: thegozzzz on February 09, 2009, 06:53:55 PM
Great for salmon. Mine serves a dual purpose for my OBS and my DBS6. Now, if I could figure out how to use it on my propane smoker.....

Yeah when you figure out how to hook it to your  LPG smoker let me know  ;D

After using the Raptor/Guru with great success i ordered the programmable PID.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Got my programmable PID today. Watch out snack sticks  ;D

nepas

okeejohn

Hi Nepas!
Been thinking about a PID since I did my first Pork Butt yesterday. I have a BDS 6 rack and figure it will make life a little easier. How are you doing with yours?? When do you use it mostly? All the time or on over night cooks.

Okeejohn