Help, Oily Fish!

Started by CheapThrills, January 22, 2004, 06:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheapThrills

I just cold smoked some atlantic salmon fillets. I smoked them for 18 hours. They are too oily. I mean really oily! How can I get the oil out of them? Other then that the fish tastes wonderful. There has to be something I can do with them.

stormdiver

Hello there,
I Normally get a 50% sugar and 50% salt, and then sprinkle it on the salmon and leave it overnight this will draw out the oil ( for farmed salmon this is always the best way to go).

Of course you can have more salt than sugar or vice versa. I just mix up a batch then pour it over the bottom of the tray and then place salmon in and pour the rest of the salt/sugar mixture over, normally about 5-10mm covering.
Hope that helps[:D]

Stormdiver

bighoof

Don't use atlantic salmon need to use pacific coast salmon.

trout

I have found that if oil is coming up on your smoked salmon, it usually means that the temp got too high.  I have seen the same effect on sausages that get too hot.[:)]

poorman

[:p]<b></b><font face="Stencil"></font id="Stencil"><font size="6"></font id="size6"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">I take a 5 ga. buket put 3lbs of salt with cold water fill 3/4 full than put fish in. I leave it that way for four hours. Take fish out wash in cold water than pat dry and into the fig. over night till dry. Into the b.s. for 4 to five hours at 140 to 150. lets eat.