Leave smoker outside in cold weather?

Started by canadiansmoker, January 22, 2009, 03:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadiansmoker

I am going to be setting up my smoker for a cold smoke of some chicken on Saturday morning. I was planning on leaving the smoker outside Friday overnight (only the tower, not the smoke generator). The temperature is supposed to drop down to -15F overnight. I was wondering if I would do any damage to the unit if I leave it outside overnight, then hook up the generator Saturday morning and start doing my cold smoke? I'm not sure if having the tower go through a temperature change of that much (cold overnight, then the generator working) would do any damage to the metal in the unit, or if the temperature increase would be gradual enough just using the generator to not do any damage.

Stephen

pensrock

Mine sits outside on a covered deck year round. From -20 to +100F.
Generator also. I never had a problem yet.
If you were going to do a hot smoke I would allow it to pre-heat a little longer to work out any moisture from condensation but other than that I would use it.
pens

canadiansmoker

Thanks Pens. That is another thing I hadn't thought of, the condensation from doing a cold smoke. I was planning on smoking for about 1 hour 40 minutes. I guess maybe wiping down the interior before I start it up might be good enough. I plan on taking the chickens out of the brine and letting them sit in the fridge overnight beforehand.

unclebuck

I live in northern Alberta and leave mine out on the deck year round(-40C to +30C).  It is on a stand with a Bradley cover, under the house eaves, with southern exposure.  Works fine.  In winter I just preheat it before I put anything into it, leaving the damper open to allow any accumulated moisture to escape while the unit comes up to the preset temp.
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

canadiansmoker

Quote from: unclebuck on January 23, 2009, 09:09:36 AM
I live in northern Alberta and leave mine out on the deck year round(-40C to +30C).  It is on a stand with a Bradley cover, under the house eaves, with southern exposure.  Works fine.  In winter I just preheat it before I put anything into it, leaving the damper open to allow any accumulated moisture to escape while the unit comes up to the preset temp.

Thanks unclebuck. Which part of northern Alberta are you from? My hometown is up in the north as well.

unclebuck

I am in Lac La Biche, land of lakes!!!!!

Country Smoke

Are you guys talking about the digital smokers? I would have thought that the digital panel wouldn't enjoy the extreme cold. I just got my smoker, haven`t used it yet, I was also wondering if during the winter months in Canada, I could leave the whole thing covered outside or if I should bring the generator inside. Anyway just wanted to make sure you were talking about the digital model.

Thanks for the info.

Mr Walleye

Personally, I would bring the generator inside. I can't help but believe the advance motor would appreciate it, along with the digital components. I know some people leave them out but it's not a very big job to take the generator off. You can put the generator in a storage tote by taking the puck tube off the generator. That way it will keep any smoke smell contained. (keep the better half happy)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

deb415611

Quote from: Mr Walleye on January 23, 2009, 06:52:36 PM
You can put the generator in a storage tote by taking the puck tube off the generator. That way it will keep any smoke smell contained. (keep the better half happy)

Mike

Yeah,  they complain if you don't put the cover on the storage tote and leave it in the kitchen overnight. :D

Mr Walleye

Quote from: deb415611 on January 24, 2009, 04:03:33 AM
You can put the generator in a storage tote by taking the puck tube off the generator. That way it will keep any smoke smell contained. (keep the better half happy)

Mike

Yeah,  they complain if you don't put the cover on the storage tote and leave it in the kitchen overnight. :D

That sounds like the voice of experience Deb.  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

josbocc

QuoteAre you guys talking about the digital smokers? I would have thought that the digital panel wouldn't enjoy the extreme cold. I just got my smoker, haven`t used it yet, I was also wondering if during the winter months in Canada, I could leave the whole thing covered outside or if I should bring the generator inside. Anyway just wanted to make sure you were talking about the digital model.

In Northern, NY this morning it's about 2 degrees.  I just dropped 8 pucks of "Jim Beam" in the DBS6, and started a cold smoke of venison steaks.  The Bradley (and smoke generator) have been in my unheated garage, and the puck advance worked fine, as did the digital display.  I've been smoking in the cold since the beginning of this winter, and experienced no problems, other than taking a bit longer to get up to initial temperature, or recover from a premature door opening (I just can't help myself sometimes)  ;D

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

deb415611

Quote from: Mr Walleye on January 24, 2009, 04:28:39 AM
Quote from: deb415611 on January 24, 2009, 04:03:33 AM

Mike

That sounds like the voice of experience Deb.  ;D

Mike

Yes, yes it is :D

Habanero Smoker

Jeff;

I leave mine on the deck with just a cover. When it gets in the low 20's and below, as a precaution I keep the generator turned off and let the cabinet heat up for a while; before turning it on. This tends to warm up the generator, and may save some wear and tear on parts.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

canadiansmoker

I just finished doing a cold smoke of the brined chicken, as well as cold smoking a few ribeyes. All of this is now in the freezer. I also cold smoked a few burgers which will be getting barbecued shortly. I did leave the tower outside overnight, covered, and it was fine when I cranked it up this morning. I did keep the generator inside the attached garage overnight. It was fairly cold here today (-25C), but the temp inside the tower always hung around 35-41F. I got up to 45F on me once, but that was when I was doing the brined chicken only, so it should be okay. The only thing I noticed when doing a cold smoke is the the first puck didn't burn very well, but that is because I didn't preheat for fear of getting the temp too high.

UncleBuck, I have been up in your neck of the woods a few times. I originally hail from close to Grande Prairie.

unclebuck

I used to work in GP.  Also hit the "High" spots as in Prairie & Level.  I do bring the generator in to prevent any freeze up of the components and probably prevent a total wreck.  When I preheat the unit, I flash up the generator as well to keep it warm.