Jerky using Mr. Yoshida's magic sauce

Started by Caribou, January 23, 2009, 12:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Hi everybody!
Smoked 3lbs of venison jerky this weekend using Mr. Yoshida's cooking sauce as a marinade.
Cut the venison into 1/4" slices and marinaded it in the sauce for about 15 hours in the frig.
sprinkled with fresh ground coarse black pepper.
Smoked with 2hrs of apple smoke at 150F and kept in BS at this temp until done.
They came out great! Very much a teriyaki type jerky.
If you want a jerky with more heat and spice you will want to enhance this with your favorite heat.
This is a good marinade when you're feeling lazy..like I do today! ;)
Carolyn

Kummok

Great advice, Carolyn! I also recommend Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce for salmon marinade....for those that don't (yet!) own a Reveo, just put the salmon steaks in a Ziplock freezer bag (I use 1 gal size ) and pour in a little YGS to cover, seal it up and let come to room temp on the counter before grilling......Mmmmm Mmmmm (P.S.  If you're grilling farmed salmon, be sure to add Liquid Drano to the marinade to counter all the other chemicals!!  :o ;) ;) :D )

Caribou

Hi Kummock!
The only experience that I've had with it is with salmon and it is good on salmon!
I was going to do a teriyaki recipe for jerky then I saw that big Costco sized jug in the back of the frig and took the easy way out.
On the farmed salmon it can be used (along with the drano) to cover the dye they use to make them salmon-colored. ;)
Ironic isn't it?
Carolyn

Smokin Soon

I have been a Yoshida's fan for 25 years, and have a big Costco jug on hand at all times. Lately I have been doing my chik wings and quarters in a combo of Yoshida and Dale's low sodium with a healthy dose of horseradish powder, onion powder, minced garlic. Overnight soak, get yer heat in the sauce of choice!

josbocc

Carolyn and Smokin Soon,

I used to use Yoshidas teriyaki for my jerky all of the time.  I used ground beef, Hi-Mtn seasonings ,and the jerky cannon.  I was able to get my Yoshidas from Sam's Club here in Northern, NY for about $5 a quart.  Sam's no longer carries it.

I don't have a Costcos here.  Closest one is in Burlington, VT., and the cost of the ferry ride over would not be worth the trip.  Any idea if Costcos ships, or where else I might be able to find Yoshidas?

Thanks,
Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

deb415611

Jeff,

Costco does have an online website not sure how much food is on it. 

Deb

Caribou

I notice that about Costco.  They get you hooked on something and then it mysteriously disappears.
There was an oriental chicken salad dressing that came in a big jug that I just loved and then "poof" when I ran out it was gone :'(
My folks have still it at their Costco in SoCal, so they bring it up to me when they visit.
They are my connection for Trader Joes, too. ;)
Now I'm wondering if they still have Yoshida's at our Costco.  My jug is a year+ old and almost out.
Carolyn

deb415611

Carolyn,

I saw it at my Costco a couple weeks ago.

Deb

FLBentRider

I've learned that at Sam's too. If you see something and you want it, get it then. It might not be there the next time you visit.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Soon

stillsmoking

Thanks for the tips folks, have had Yoshida chicken served from a local restaurant but never thought to use it as a marinade at home.

Kummok, I think your tip on the farm raised stuff would be a waste of good Drano! :P  As you know, friends don't let friends eat farmed fish! ;)

Caribou

Thanks Smokin Soon!
It's nice to know there is somewhere else to get it.
Just in case it goes poof at Costco's
Carolyn

stillsmoking

The door is open Carolyn, I'll supply the gear!  Cold enough today I am pretty sure the only fish available would flash freeze on the way out.

Caribou

Stillsmoking where are you....flash frozen fish! :o
Sounds very cold!  I thought my 18F was cold this morning, but might be down right balmy compare to where you are. :D
Kummock did you have an earthquake today?
Carolyn

stillsmoking

Not really that bad Caribou, last time I looked it was about 12 here this morning.  Supposed to get to the twenties today.  I am on a small island in Southeast Alaska.  Have spent time in your neck of the woods, originally from Southern Idaho but always loved the north part of the state as well.