Snack sticks first attempt

Started by pensrock, January 24, 2009, 12:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

I made snack sticks today. It's my first time making these. All I can say is they better be good. I did not realize how many you would get out of a five pound batch. Theres got to be 3 dozen sticks, I did buy hi-temp cheese but forgot to put it in.  ;D
I did not get any pics from the smoking but I'll try when they come out of the dehydrator. If I do not forget that also.  ???
Guess I know what to take along with a couple pounds of smoked xsharp cheddar to the Super Bowl party next Sunday.  ;D

NePaSmoKer

pens

you can get hooked on stix real easy  ;D

nepas

Buck36

Pens,

Those sound good! Did you smoke them to temp and then put them in the dehydrator?

I have only used the smoker. I never even thought about using a dehydrator. I gues they would be a lot more like slim jims then. You have given me a new project!

NePaSmoKer

Here is a small vid of dehydrator snack sticks. I am going to do these tomorrow. Kinda interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD_y0cVvoqA

nepas

pensrock

NEPAS, you make more snack sticks than anyone I know.
I tried that recipe I showed you the other day with a few modifications, I did add the encapsulated citric acid as you suggested.

Buck36,
I smoked them for two hours at 165F, then put into the dehydrator.

pensrock

Well here they are. Look and smell great, I'll wait till they are cool to try one. I counted 38 of them!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

Those stix look great pens  ;D

nepas

deb415611

Very nice Pens.   Your superbowl buddies are going to be very happy.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

Pens... they look great!

I'm really interested in the texture of them. I've never finished them in the dehydrator before and I'm interested in how they turned out that way.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

drano

Pens,
Those look great!  If they taste half as good as they look, they'd be gone in about a day in my house.

I watched the youtube video--the guy sorta has the voice of Larry the Cable Guy. 

drano

carnie1

Casper wants to know, Are there any left?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: carnie1 on January 25, 2009, 07:45:02 AM
Casper wants to know, Are there any left?

LMAO Carnie!  :D

I'll bet Casper would be all over those... might last 30 seconds!  :D

Keep your eyes on your fries!... I mean snack sticks!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

Thanks everyone, they came out great. Note to self.... next time add more pepper.

QuoteCasper wants to know, Are there any left?
Carnie,
Sure bring Casper to the Super bowl party dressed in Black & Gold and he can have as many as he wants.  ;D

Mike,
I did not dry them to the point of being jerky like. They are still slightly moist in the middle but drier than the snack sticks they sell in the stores. I can still bend them and think they came out perfect.

I may put some back into the dehydrator today to dry a little more just to try a few of them that way. They are great as is. I'll let you know how they are after the additional drying.