Fresh Breakfast Sausage

Started by NePaSmoKer, January 24, 2009, 03:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

This is for 10 lbs. You can stuff it or make into patties. This is a family recipe from Lake Elsinore Calif.

10 lbs boneless pork shoulder
4 T course salt (kosher)
2 T ground white pepper
2 T ground sage
1 t paprika
1 t allspice
1 t butter
1/2 t ground ginger
2 cups ice water

Before you gring the meat, Combine all the dry ingredients with the 2 cups of ice water. Mix this well and set aside. Grind meat through a med plate. Pour liquid/seasoning mix into meat and mix by hand or meat mixer until blended well.

If you want to stuff this use 32-36mm hog casings, stuff loosely, Or make into patties. Refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours. Freezes well when double wrapped. Note: you can use fresh useasoned ground pork too if you dont have a grinder.

nepas

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

pensrock

NEPAS, have you tried to cold smoke this breakfast sausage before? I've had smoked breakfast sausage at restaurants before, I think they used liquid smoke to make it.
But was wondering if it could be done as long as it was kept cold because there is no cure in the mix.

smokeitall

Thanks for the recipe, my wife was just asking me to make some for her.  I am going to try this recipe versus buying a kit.

Once again thanks for the great recipe, keep em coming.

unclebuck

Pensrock, it does work well, but to prevent any problems smoke up only enough for one breakfast.  A bit of a pain the patoot, but well worth it.  Try smoking with Crown Royal or Jim Beam bisquettes.
what can't be smoked can't be eaten