Setting Expectations

Started by Stoker, January 10, 2005, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoker

Hey Guys/Gals, need some guidance.  Had some issues when cooking on my BS this weekend for the first time.  Problem was obtaining a temperature above 210F on the door thermometer when cooking two chickens and a rib roast. Rib roast and chickens did not obtain an internal temperature above 155F for the roast and 165f for the chickens after 8 hours in the BS with the temp gage at max. Had to finish the cooking cycle for both in the house oven.
 I ran a check of the temperature with the tower empty today and the max. temperature obtain on the door thermometer was 260F with an internal thermometer reaching 270F, at that time the heating element would should off until the unit cooled down to about 160F on the door thermometer and than would come back on and go to 260F and repeat the cycle. Outside temperature was about 65F Unit was plugged into a dedicated electrical circuit with nothing else on the line.

•   Is this the normal operation of the unit?
•   Is 260 – 270f the max. the unit can generate?

Don't want to establish false expectations there again want to make sure the unit is operating normal as well.  Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

nsxbill

Sounds like you need to call Bradley.  Something is not working correctly, for sure.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

Bill is correct. Your BS is not working right. The maximum temperature that Bradley reports the BS will go to is 320 degrees F or 160 degrees C.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

Stoker,

Where was your vent open to?  I know when I start smoking birds, there is so much water vapor coming off that it may take some time to get up to temp.,  Just a thought.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Stoker

Vent was open just enought to keep smoke and vapor from comming out of the smoke generator had no problem with vapor buildup, just temperature not rising.

Stoker

Just got off the phone with Bradley support, they are going to send out a new Temp. switch (stated that there should not be a 100 deg. swing in the temperature) and a new medal heat element since my heat element is glass. Support stated the new medal heating element should provide more heat.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stoker</i>
<br />Vent was open just enought to keep smoke and vapor from comming out of the smoke generator ....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I know this may have nothing to do with your problem btu you might just open it up just a little more, just this guys HO on a rainy, cloudy, "wish I were hunt'n" type day...Let us know how that new type element works...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Stoker

thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about the bad weather, it is 76 and sunny here in Texas. will let you know the outcome

Chez Bubba

Stoker,

VERY IMPORTANT or you will be calling Bradley again![:(]

When you replace the heating element, tighten the screws to snug plus a bit. Don't wrench on them or you will crack the ceramic holders.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stoker</i>
<br />thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about the bad weather, it is 76 and sunny here in Texas. will let you know the outcome
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Jim,

I've been having the same problem with my new BS, and the'yre sending me a new stainless heating element, too.  I'm going to ask them about the temp switch, too.

Have to say the Bradley folks are nice to deal with.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Stoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stoker</i>
<br />thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about the bad weather, it is 76 and sunny here in Texas. will let you know the outcome
Hi Jim,

I've been having the same problem with my new BS, and the'yre sending me a new stainless heating element, too.  I'm going to ask them about the temp switch, too.

Have to say the Bradley folks are nice to deal with.

John
Newton MA
I sure hope this solves the problem.  I'm trying to gear up for the Houston Rodeo BBQ Cook off the end of Feb. and would like to take the BS with me to the cookoff.  If any of you are going to be at the cookoff stop by the Stockyard smokers and ask for Doc. Savage and say Howdy[8D] and have a cold one on me.

Stoker

Update:  New board installed and new heating element.  Got a 10 degree increase in max temp. to 280f on the door 300+F on the thermometer inside.  Unit cut out at the 280F mark dropped to 250F and came back on, so the wide swing from 270F to 160F has been eliminated.  Thank you Bradley support!

car54

Glad to hear that your problem is solved but I have a question for the group. Isn't there a high limit safety switch that cuts out at a given temperature and restarts when the temperature drops? I think that this would be the problem but maybe not.

Brad

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by car54</i>
<br />Glad to hear that your problem is solved but I have a question for the group. Isn't there a high limit safety switch that cuts out at a given temperature and restarts when the temperature drops? I think that this would be the problem but maybe not.

Brad

Check this thread[;)]
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=997

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Stoker

And the beat goes on:

Now that I have the main heating element and control board situation corrected, today while smoking, it seems that my heating element on the smoke generator failed.  I had 5 bisquettes in the unit plus two bubba pucks, the first three bisquettes worked great, than I noticed I was not generating any smoke. Upon checking the unit, I noticed that one bisquette was in the bowl unburnt and the other was sitting on the generator heating element also unburnt.  I contacted Bradely and they said to open up the generator and check all the connections to make sure they were are intact.  They were and still the unit does not work.  Has anyone else had this experiance? I think that I will need a new smoke generator heating element to correct this problem.  I've contact Bradley but they were closed so I left a voice message.