Back Bacon

Started by nickld, January 26, 2009, 09:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickld

Well, I finally finished my first batch of Hab's Canadian Bacon today! What a great recipe and great taste!

I started with a 7lb pork loin cut into 4 pieces and used Hab's method and recipe at:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=311

Vac-sealed and into a 37degree fridge for 7 days.....

Rinsed and soaked for 2 hours changing water every 30 minutes. Then back into the fridge over night.....

Into OBS preheated to 225 degrees....

Two hours of maple and apple.... Then to 140 degrees internal temperature....

Let cool and wrapped tightly in plastic wrap for three days....

Finally sliced up and packaged....

I had a fantastic time and the flavor is awesome...  Now time to eat... Then dig into the freezer for the next project!...

Thanks to all the folks posting on this forum! I'll be doing this recipe again...

Mr Walleye

Hey Nick... Congrats... the bacon looks fantastic!  8)

You'll be hooked now for sure!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokin Soon

Oh yeah, you got it perfecto!  ;D

Gizmo

Those do look great.

Just currious though, why did you place the CB on an upside down shelf?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

nickld

Hi Gizmo,

No particular reason really.  I use the upside down shelf to give circulation when I air dry in the refrigerator. The next morning I removed the meat, washed the shelves and sprayed them with Pam. Left on the upside down shelves again to come to room temp while preheating the OBS.

~Nick

Gizmo

Makes sense.  I use them in the fridge upside down as well but then turn them over unless doing double rack jerky.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

nickld;

The bacon looks good. I'm glad you liked it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

nickld,

Looks great!  I have some that will finish its two day rest tonight.  I can't wait to slice into it.

Deb

FLBentRider

That Bacon looks great Nick!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

easyridinole

That looks fantastic Nick!! I have got to try Habs recipe one of these days after seeing your pictures. ;)

Ole
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

cowgirl

Great looking bacon Nick, love the color.  :)

Smokin Soon

Cowgirl, I kind of learned my lesson on the browning thing. If it is not properly dried overnight until tackey, it does not get that beautiful golden color. It still tastes great but lacks presentation.

nickld

Thanks everybody. There's so much great information and inspiration on this forum its difficult to leave the computer!   :P

Ya just can't beat the atmosphere of friendliness here!

~Nick