NePa Inspired Smoked Trout

Started by Gizmo, January 27, 2009, 10:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

When NePa was out for So Cal Smoke Out 2, he graced me with a bottle of Limestone Springs Smoked Trout Marinade.  Finally found some nice rainbows in the store and fixed them up.
Was going to do two batches and use 1/2 the marinade with what I did do, and save half for a plain fixin in a week or two.  Unfortunately, one of the fins pierced the plastic bag and I had to reload with the remaining.

Started with the marinade for around 20 hours then patted dry, and air dried in the fridge for an hour or so till a pellicle formed on the inside, I also took it out of the fridge and hit it with a high speed fan while the puck burner was warming up.
Cold Smoked the trout for 1 hour 20 minutes with Oak.
While the trout was smoking, I decided to chop up some aromatics for the cavity.
Thyme, Rosemary, sage, a little jalapeƱo, couple of lemons, few thin slices of an Anaheim, few slices of red onion and two green onions.  Then decided to puree the lot with a little evoo, salt and pepper.  Very tasty.
After the smoke, the aromatic puree went into the cavity and onto a wet cedar plank then off to the grill and covered with a piece of aluminum foil.

Very tasty, very moist inside.
Thanks for sharing NePa,  I'll have to get another bottle so I can do just the marinade and smoke to enjoy just the flavor of the marinade.

Smoked

Almost done on the grill

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Giz

Glad it worked out for you. The trout looks good.  I can get more bottles if you need some.

nepas