Brine-Cured Canadian Bacon

Started by Doctor Woody, January 28, 2009, 02:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor Woody

The Canadian Bacon turned out great.  I don't measure ingredients unless they are critical, like Instacure #1 or Tender Quick Salt, etc.  Most spices are done "to taste" anyway.

Here we go...

Non-iodized salt, brown sugar, onion powder, dried minced garlic and coarse black pepper.

Warm water was added and mixture was stirred well.  Then the trimmed loins were submerged.

After 6 days, turning over once per day, loins were rinsed and submerged in cold water for an hour.  Then spent a day, uncovered in the refrigerator before being hog-tied for the smoker.  They spent a couple more hours out of the refrigerator before being placed in the smoker.

Vents wide open, temp at 120 degrees F for two hours to dry the loins.  Then ramped the temp up to 150 degrees F (set for 3 hours) and applied smoke for 4 hours with vents 1/4 open.  After the 3 hours at 150, ramped the temp up to 160.  After 3 hours at 160, ramped the temp up to 165 until internal temp was 142.

Soaked in a cold water bath to bring temp down quickly.

Wrapped with plastic and refrigerated for two more days.  Then took out to slice up.

Yum.

Vac Packed for safe keeping.

Mr Walleye

Hey Doc... Ya did a fine job!  ;)

Ya can never go wrong with bacon!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

HCT

Great job doc. The coloring looks good. A bit paler than when using a rub, or is it my eyes? :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Doctor Woody

Thanks.

T'was my first run at Canadian Bacon.  I knew it would be hard to go wrong with it.  I was quite pleased with the result.

cowgirl

Great looking CB Doctor Woody!! Looks very tasty! :)

Doctor Woody

Quote from: cowgirl on January 28, 2009, 02:27:21 PM
Great looking CB Doctor Woody!! Looks very tasty! :)

Why thank you for your "visual endorsement" Cowgirl!

La Quinta

The Bacon looks awesome...well done with the license plate...I bet it befuddles people in California....like on the 10 or 91...or 405...or 5!!!  :D Sorry...got off track there...

I am intrigued with the brine cure though...I have only done dry...looks really good...

Doctor Woody

Quote from: La Quinta on January 28, 2009, 07:26:26 PM
The Bacon looks awesome...well done with the license plate...I bet it befuddles people in California....like on the 10 or 91...or 405...or 5!!!  :D Sorry...got off track there...

I am intrigued with the brine cure though...I have only done dry...looks really good...

;D   I have to admit that I Photoshopped the plate.  Thought it would be cute.

The only reason I did the wet brine is that I realized I did not have enough Tender Quick Salt when I was ready to cure the stuff.  Tender Quick is not easy to find in South OC, so I decided to do the brine.  I knew it would turn out okay, but am more fond of dry cures as they are easier and cheaper.  I have since replenished my Tender Quick Salt.

It turned out great, other than being a bit saltier than I would like.

deb415611

Quote from: La Quinta on January 28, 2009, 07:26:26 PM

LQ,

I have done both, both equally good but I think the dry is easier and takes up less space.

Deb

Tenpoint5

Quote from: HCT on January 28, 2009, 02:17:59 PM
Great job doc. The coloring looks good. A bit paler than when using a rub, or is it my eyes? :D

Was thinking the same thing HCT. Doesnt look to have that "Pink" color that the dry cure produces. I am of the opinion that the good Doctor should send us some to verify that the taste is the same. What do you think HCT?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Doctor Woody

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 29, 2009, 03:44:58 PM
Quote from: HCT on January 28, 2009, 02:17:59 PM

Was thinking the same thing HCT. Doesnt look to have that "Pink" color that the dry cure produces. I am of the opinion that the good Doctor should send us some to verify that the taste is the same. What do you think HCT?

Oh, but if I sent some to you, I would have to send it to everyone.  And I certainly didn't make enough for that.   :D

stinger

OK canadian bacon brine   what is the close to exact ingrediants a nd proportions???

La Quinta

Dude...you photo shopped the plate?  :D  :D Well done!!!  ;D

Doctor Woody

Quote from: La Quinta on February 05, 2009, 07:21:06 PM
Dude...you photo shopped the plate?  :D  :D Well done!!!  ;D

Hahahaha   I did indeed.  Couldn't really see myself driving around with such a message on my plate.   ;D

La Quinta

Very funny Doc.... my Canadian comes out a wee bit "pinker"...could that be the wet brine?

PS...you can get Morton's TQ at Jensens...kinda pricey tho...