Advice on a cold smoke setup

Started by carnie1, January 28, 2009, 02:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

LTS;

I been meaning to ask if I could use your photo in the FAQ section.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

love the smoke

Please do, if it is going to help someone else then by all means go ahead.

LTS
LTS

Gizmo

Quote from: love the smoke on January 30, 2009, 05:35:25 AM
With Bradleys somewhat deficient (?word) way of building the lower panel on a OBS that houses the slider switch I would be a little cautious on how much weight I stacked on top of the unit. I did the extra foot peg mod and the lower panel still cracxked in the middle.
Just a word of warning

I like the idea but I think with just a little more work you could use cheaper box for the bottom or first cabinet and the bradley on top would save the extra weight from going onto the bradley

LTS 

Good caution there.  West Coast Kansan has a 4 rack Digital.  No load bearing issues.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

deerstalker1966

hello everyone!! you can acheive a cold smoke without buying alot of stuff or spending alot of money. first off, what you need to do is place the smoke generator a distance away from the smoker itself. atleast 10 feet. if you look back to the old days of smokers and smoking you'll find that when people cold smoked stuff they would have the origin of the smoke 12 feet or more away from the smokehouse. they would pipe it under the ground although you don't need to do that. the idea behind the distance was that by the time it reached the smokehouse the smoke was cold with no heat thus acheiving "cold smoke". Taking another box and placing on top of your smoker is a good idea but you wouldn't be resolving the heat problem because it's too close to generator. the way i would do it is get yourself some inexpensive gas/dryer pipe with some elbows, set the generator lower than the smoker and 10 to 12 feet away and pipe it over. i hope this helps everyone!!

manxman

Hi deerstalker 1966 and welcome to the forum.

Afraid you have been beaten to it ......... this is the method that has been used for several years here on the forum but thanks anyway.

http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm
Manxman

KyNola

Deerstalker,
First off, welcome to the forum!

Using 10-12 feet of dryer vent hose is pretty much overkill with the Bradley as the smoke generator is only 125 watts so that is pretty comparable to a 100-150 watt lightbulb.  As little as 3 feet or even less is adequate and is pretty much dictated by how far your cold smoke box is away from the tower.

Hang around with us my friend!
KyNola

tsquared

Ditto Kynola.
I use about 3.5 ft of dryer hose between my cold smoke chamber and the bradley chamber and the temp never rises much above the ambient.
T2